Chapter Five

Both members of the wedding couple grimaced. At the same time, in two different places.

Lady Arabella because it was the first time seeing herself all dressed up in her mother's horrendous creation of white frills and giant bows, and His Grace because he had cut himself shaving on his wedding day.

While Arabella put on a false smile to please her mother, Jasper sighed and began wiping the blood off his neck.

"Jasper," his mother snapped, "You act as if we were sending you to the grave, not to marry a very striking young woman of good status."

"You are mother. She's really quite dull."

Of course he was lying, but he was still very upset that he had become as careless as to be caught twice. Her regretful face made him think twice about which twin he thought she was. Maybe she wasn't so happy with the arrangement either.

How he wished his childhood neighbor and best friend was here. He needed someone to talk him into at least smiling. But he was in South Africa, on an expedition with Andrew Smith.

He sighed once more as his mother fussed over his cravat once again.

She rolled her eyes. "This is the last time, son."

ɤɤɤɤ

Arabella smiled as her father tossed her a pitying glance as he took her arm.

"I believe you."

She looked over at her father, who had a straight face and was looking straight ahead at the big, wooden church doors.

"What?"

"I know it wasn't you. I've seen Alice interact with men, and she has a childish need for admiration. You, however, are more independent and you carefully craft your actions."

She was relieved, but he didn't explain why he went through the marriage. Arabella tried to muster up a smile, but her look of confusion and betrayal must've shown.

"I went through with it... Well, because His Grace is a respectable man and I saw that you were better suited to the responsibility of a duchess than Alice," he confided.

It made sense to her, so- while she hated it- she wasn't going to change things as of this moment. She would have to lie in the bed she... er, Alice made for her.

Her heart nearly stopped as the church doors swung open. There was no going back now.

ɤɤɤɤ

Jasper was shocked at how calm she looked. He was almost certain that he looked as if someone had shot his dog.

She let out a small chuckle at something her father had whispered in her ear and looked up, her eyes seeming to sparkle.

"Take care of her," her father said to him, giving him a knowing look. He kissed his daughter in the cheek and handed her off.

As the priest jabbered on about marriage being a sacred union, Jasper tried so very hard no to fiddle with his sleeves- something he always did when he was nervous or upset. This marriage would change his entire life. He wouldn't be free to spend the night in taverns, he'd had to more carefully catalogue his earnings and spending, and keep her entertained (which would almost certainly involve spending money).

He was so wrapped up in his own negative world, he had to be nudged into saying, "I will", before they continued on with the ceremony.

After they got through the " I will"s and "I do"s, he noticed how her hand was shaking as he slipped on the ring onto her slender finger. He looked up to her face.

She had a single tear sliding down her face. For the first time, he allowed himself to think that she hadn't intended only trapping him into a loveless marriage. After all, he had been guilty as well.

The dreaded " You may kiss the bride" came. He slowly lifted her veil. She seemed to be a beautiful yet sorrowful trinket that he didn't want to touch, for fear of ruining it.

As he leaned down, he was startled with an innocent kiss that he'd never tasted before. How did she remain so untainted?

There was no doubt about it now. This was the wrong twin. While the other twin was overbearingly experienced, she was so pure and unforgettably sweet.

She pulled away quickly, ending the moment that seemed to last forever. Her smile faltered slightly as they made their exit, family and friends cheering them off.

Arabella was so relieved that the wedding was over and that they were not going on a voyage à la façon anglaise. (means honeymoon)

That kiss had been her first kiss, unless you counted cousins and her father- which she didn't- and now she had to face her husband.

The journey to his estate was tense. The newlyweds left each other to bemoan the now permanent situation. The only connection they shared was Jasper helping her in and out of the carriage and letting go of her hand instantly.

Once he had leaned in to kiss her, but she pushed him away. "No need to act out of obligation," she had huffed and hurriedly turned to the window.

As soon as they arrived, he assigned her a maid and left to work.

"On our wedding day?" She asked, bewildered.

"No need to act out of obligation, my darling Arabella." He slammed the door, making her jump. As she calmed her racing heart, she tried to convince herself it was all a dream.

"Study the facts. You're a married woman now," she muttered to herself, letting the thought sink in, "Keep a cool head and let him simmer."

Her new home and position as lady of the house would suit her just fine.

ɤɤɤɤ

1.03K veiws as of now!!! Thank you guys so much for the support! You guys inspire me to keep writing and break through writer's block!

Quick question: should I begin writing Alice's story now and write them together or make it take place afterwards?

<3

~Emmilin