Chapter Twelve

The doorbell rang a few minutes before half past eight, telling me the first of Levi's guests was here. I quickly said bye to Mikayla, signed off How To Get A Life and checked myself in the mirror. A navy blue skirt and a Hollister t-shirt and jacket. Perfect, although not as slutty as the badass day. I shuddered, remembering how awful that idea was. At least I didn't feel as exposed this time.

As I checked my hair and make-up one more time, I heard the door open.

"Happy birthday, Levi!" Two girls chorused downstairs in sickeningly sweet voices. Ashley, the girlfriend, and Francis, the girl that made me unpopular in the first place. I sighed and looked over my reflection one last time.

Time to be a party girl, Lexi.

"Welcome to Levi and Lexi's party!" My mum's voice rang out from downstairs. "Lexi! Your first guests have arrived!"

"Coming, Mum!" I tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear and ran down the stairs to see my mother wearing an apron and embarrassing Levi, and Ashley and Francis giggling and whispering into each other's ears. Once the girls saw me, they glared at me quickly, as if they wanted to throw me out of my own house.

Brilliant.

As soon as my mum turned around, Ashley and Francis turned their simpering sweet faces back on and my mum smiled back.

"Well, you look like lovely girls to be my Levi and Lexi's best friends!" My mum exclaimed. Fake smiles appeared on all of our faces, although they probably wanted to throw up at the sight of me.

If only you really knew who they really were.

"Have a nice time - remember, the party must be over by eleven at the latest!" My mum planted a kiss on both mine and Levi's cheeks, which I quickly wiped off again. "Remember, no alcohol or naked bodies! Good night!"

I felt myself blushing bright red at the mention of naked bodies, which all three people standing in front of me noticed and started laughing. My mum went upstairs, waving towards us.

I was expecting Levi to announce the beginning of the party, but instead, he walked towards the two girls and stood in a huddle whispering to each other, whilst I was leaning against the wall awkwardly.

But everyone on How To Get A Life told me I had to be a party girl. This was my birthday party. None of my friends were here with me; nobody was here to stop me. I wanted to be popular. Being a party girl couldn't do any harm - it was just being a little louder and crazier than normal. Anyway, if I pulled this off, everyone would realise I was just a normal human being like they were and they would stop singling me out. Of course I would stay friends with Holly and Robyn and them lot, but I wanted people to like me. Levi to appreciate me. Everyone to actually give me a chance.

"So, let's get this party started!" I shouted, my voice slightly uneasy. All three teenagers turned around and stared at me as if I was insane.

Three seconds later, they started laughing their heads off and started tapping around on their phones.

Oh well, you have to start somewhere, I thought to myself.

But I followed them to the living room, where our Christmas fairy lights were hanging up to try and make the dark room look 'cool'.

The decorations kind of failed, but I had to admit, our living room looked a lot more modern than it normally did. We had our new stereo playing some kind of dubstep music and the food and drink crowding up the whole of the conservatory. Levi, Ashley and Francis sat down on the sofa, chatting while I sat down next to them silently. Francis noticed me.