Chapter Nine

I walked through the school gates, grinning. Showing my skills worked yesterday - people were impressed by my art! - so I was going to keep doing so. I would become kind of...famous because everyone liked my paintings. Then they'd actually attempt to get to know me, and realise that they shouldn't have judged me just because I spilt Sprite on Francis Kartinson's skirt. I would get friends, and Levi would get jealous. And then, he would realise that I was popular for a reason, not just because I was 'hot', and then finally, he would accept me for who I was all over again and be a proper twin brother.

God, I missed Levi.

But everything was going to work out. My goal would be completed and everything would be fine.

Everything would be fine.

I just had to keep trying. This had to be the key to having friends.

Even as I noticed that Levi was keeping his distance from me as we walked through the school site, I knew this day would be good.

My smile kept stretching, stretching all the way to the main school doors. I walked in, feeling Levi push the door behind me even as I held the door for him. Some people just weren't appreciative of others, but that was okay. Eventually Levi would like me; it just took time.

I could do it.

"Shut the stupid smile already! That was just one thing, you showing off about your stupid art. We all know you're pathetic really, they just wanted to make you happy for one second but of course, you take it too seriously! Nobody's ever going to like you really, everyone knows that! And anyway, seriously, first the terrible badass and now being some sort of smartass? Everyone will think you have like, split personality disorder and that's exactly what I think! You're just a pathetic little shit, and I'm always going to be more popular than you, so don't bother trying!" Levi said, scowling. He spit in my eye and speed-walked off.

"Wow," I mumbled to myself. I was a bit taken down by what he said, but I knew he was just jealous. He just couldn't admit that I could be popular as well. He just wanted the attention.

Well, he wasn't going to get it.

I started smiling again.

***

"Lexi! How are you?"

I turned around to see Thomas, the geeky boy from Art, standing at the door of my form-room. I winced. Although I did want friends, I wasn't sure I particularly wanted Thomas around.

"Hey," I replied in a dull voice, and turned back to talk to Holly and Robyn, the other pair of twins in our year, and Lucas, who was also an art nerd and had come over to discuss techniques with me. He had heard Holly and Robyn weren't exactly obsessed with art, but they were hanging around as well anyway, seeing as they were obsessed with anime and liked the art from there. We were in the middle of thinking about where the best inspiration came from, and Thomas wasn't exactly my favourite interruption.

"By the way," Thomas chirped, smiling as he walked over. "Your rose was so good in art yesterday, Lexi. There may be many things I can do, but one thing I can't do is paint! I'm not sure why I took Art, seeing as you're so much better than me. You're so talented, you know. I loved it!"

I couldn't help but go bright pink. "Um, okay. Thanks," I said unsteadily and carried on talking to the others. Lucas seemed to be more of a natural artist than an imagination artist. He painted animals, landscapes, leaves. I painted little montages, collages, objects with meanings.

"So, what are you talking about with these people?" Thomas said, trying to budge into our little huddle but still talking directly at me.

"Oh, um, art. Yeah, um, Lucas, I don't really spend much time outside. Most of mine kind of just come from my mind, you know. Lots of stuff goes on inside the brain," I explained, turning back to Lucas and subtly trying to brush away Thomas. Thomas was really annoying me, butting into my conversation with Lucas. Lucas, not the most popular but had a load of friends and everyone liked him. He was pretty cute as well. I was surprised he hadn't just come up to me to bully me, but to have someone to relate to about art. There weren't many artists in the Populars.