Chapter six.

Chapter six.

“Son, I don’t know how to tell you this without shocking you; I’m your real father.”-

My eyes grew large, and the words replayed through my mind. My mouth dropped a bit, and I rubbed my forehead backing away from him a little. I’m in complete shock.

“My father is Jackson Perry, I just told you that- it can’t be-.” He cut off my sentence.

“No, Jack; I’m your father.  I’ve always been your father, and I love you very, very much. More than you know. And I love your mother Martha more than any woman in the world.” As he explained; he came over and held my shoulders again. He ran his fingers through my hair with a tear in his eye.

“If you’re my father, why didn’t you come to visit me? Just once.” I asked looking him in the eye; I saw truth, and love, a look I’ve never seen out of the man that has raised me.

“I was a secret agent for the government, and I was called into a very important mission the day you were born, and it lasted for over six years. I never wanted to leave you, my son. And  when I came back here; I couldn’t find you, or your mother. And one day I met back up with your mother, she was married to Jackson, and you weren’t old enough to understand. I’m so sorry, my boy. I can’t believe your mother never told you. Does Jackson know?” He explained and my eyes grew ten times bigger than usual. I cleared my throat enough to talk and I said,

“He thinks I’m his, I guess. ” I stared him down, observing his features, and his appearance.

“You have every right to be angry with me. I’m so sorry. Can you forgive me? I understand if you can’t.” I got to thinking after he offered his apology. I don’t feel like I can deny him, he’s offering fatherly love to me; which I have never gotten out of Jackson. I know if Jackson found out, it would just eat at him. My eyes watered a little as I said,

“I’m not saying I’m forgiving you for everything, but I’ll meet you half way; cause it’s not all your fault, mom has as much to do with it as you do. And you had work to do, but you always could have called. And that’s a little hard to get over, but… that doesn’t mean I don’t love you.” Finally the tear ran down my cheek. I grabbed my dad, hugging him tightly. I cried on his shoulder like a dog in pain.

“I love you, dad.” He held me tighter as he answered, “I love you so much.” He began to cry.

***

Home:

I decided to confront my mom about all this. I thought about how I would bring it up on the way home. And I paced the kitchen floor before I brought it up. “Hey mom, where’s..” I began to gag a little in my throat. “Dad?” I asked, finishing my sentence.

“He’s at work sweetie, why?” She stood and washed dishes completely normal.

“Mom, I need to talk to you.” She turned to me nervously.

“What’s wrong? It’s not about your father is it?”

“Yes, all about him; my real father; ‘Greg Melcom.’” She stared at me for a few moments or so in shock, and then backed away a bit in thinking of what I told her. She stared out the kitchen window.

“How did you find out?” She asked very softly, and silent like.

“I met him today, mom. Why didn’t you ever tell me?” I walked up into the living room, and she followed.

“Honey, Jackson doesn’t know either, and it’s safer that he don’t. I thought it would be safe not to let you know, cause if something happened to him in the secret agency for the government; you would feel so bad for never getting to know him, or meet him. I’m sorry I never told you, I thought it was for the best.” A smile formed my face.

“Glad you put it that way.” Then came behind her was my father Greg. “Turn around mom.” I finished. She then turned around to a smiling ex-husband.

“Hi honey.” He said, and she put her hand on her chest catching her breath. I could tell that she still loves him. He walked closer to her after shutting the back door.

“Hey, Greg.” She said covering her mouth in shock as he came closer to her.

“I haven’t seen you in years, and you still look as beautiful as you did then.” A smile came across his face as he wrapped his arm around her waist. “And I’ve missed you.” He finished. My mother removed her hand from her mouth as it dropped along with her heart. He held his forehead against hers and whispered,

“I expect to hear something out of you besides a dropped mouth.” He looked down at her with a smile. She looked up at him with teary eyes.

“You always seem so tall.” She giggled. Then she pressed her head against his chest. “I’ve miss you too.” Then before I knew it; they were kissing like hungry crazy people.

“I’m standing right here you know? Watching everything, and I’m only a teenager.” I smirked as they pulled away right then. They both looked at me with a smile. I went over and joined their love fest. My father kissed my mother, and then me on the forehead as we all hugged.

***

The next day:

I guess my dad kind of spent the night; I mean I guess they needed time to catch up and… whatever. I found him at the kitchen table eating breakfast with mom. I actually feel like I’m in a family now. But this also means my mom is in a second relationship, and Jackson would explode if he found out.

“Hello, parents.” I took a seat. My father stood to his feet after getting out of his chair, and sipping his coffee.

“How about we catch up later, son?  Sorry we really didn’t get a chance last night.” I saw a smile in the corner of my eye from mom. He came over and patted me on the shoulder like.

“I’d love to, dad.  Can you pick me up after school?” I said before taking a bit of toast.

“I’ll be there.” He said and gave mom a kiss, and went out the door with a “Bye, bye.” Then I finished breakfast, and took a shower. I set the handle to ‘H,’ and very warm water hit my back. I felt relief knowing I actually have a dad that cares about me. But my hate for Jackson grows. I can’t even stand to call him my dad; I have to since we’re going to keep it a secret. Then I wondered to myself where he was; probably asleep on the street from drinking last night, he looks like a hobo most the time anyway. I turned off the water, dried my hair with a towel, and slipped into some clothes.

I walked into another room where my mom was at and said,

“So where’s the monster ‘Jackson?’” I asked grabbing my backpack.

“Who knows. But you can’t lose respect for him just because you found out he’s not your father. He’s still the man you raised you, Jack.”  I stood and thought about what she said.

“I lost respect for him a long time ago. Yes, he taught me the manners of being a man. But he changed, he changed a long time ago, mom. He was never like this, maybe that’s why dad came along to.. comfort us. Give us the love a real father and husband should give. Treat us right.” My mom looked at me seriously.

“Your right about everything, he was a good man at one time. But I believe, no matter how bad, or how cruel he is to us.. to you. You’ll be a wonderful husband, and father some day; I believe, you won’t let these memories of him get to you. You’ll be a great young man someday.” A smile formed my face as I said,

“Thanks mom.” She gave me a hug, and then I headed off to school.

***

Thanks for reading! Please comment your thoughts, vote and fan!