Chapter eight.

Chapter eight.

“I’m thankful you’re the shy and polite guy.” She gave me a smile, and I gave one back.

“You know, I’m surprised you don’t have several guys chasing you. You’re so pretty, I guess I got lucky- didn’t I?”

“I wouldn’t say lucky, there’s a lot of girls out there, Jack, you just got to find them. And thank you.”

“You’re one in a million. If I wanted one of those stuck up cheerleaders, I’d have one. You’re perfect in every way. I don’t know if anyone has ever told you, but… You make me feel like I exist, and that feeling is incredible.” I saw her blush a little, and look around the room.

“Thank you. I’m sorry others don’t make you feel like you exist. I feel the same sometimes. I’m not really.. as you say ‘chased’ by guys, I’m a nerd. I don’t even know why Scott likes me.”

“What isn’t there to like?” She looked down as she blushed- her face turned three shades darker.

Harley’s point of view.

I looked down blushing as I did. Then I found a hand on top of mine. A smile curled around my cheeks, staring into his beautiful, deep blue eyes. He stared me down with lustful eyes. It’s like we were talking through our actions, and reading each other’s minds. Then my thoughts were stopped by the sound of his father’s voice.

“Alright kids; soups on.” He laid a plate of tacos in front of me.

“Mr. Perry. Why don’t you sit down and eat with us?”

“My name is Greg, Greg Melcom. And don’t mind if I do, sweetie.” I saw Jack’s eyes grow a little large.

“Oh my mistake, I thought you were a Perry, Jack.”

“No.. I’m a Melcom.” He said a little nervously.

“Then your mother must be a Perry?”

“Uh… I’ll explain everything later.” He answered.

“Well. So your name is?” Mr. Melcom looked toward me and asked with a small smile.

“Harley Carter.”

“Harley’s a beautiful name.” He took a bite of taco.

“Thank you, I was named after my great grandmother.”

“How lovely.” He said with a sweet smile. Then he looked over at Jack. “Jack, you’re very quiet. Why don’t you say something to your wonderful date?” Jack’s eyes grew a little large again.

“Jack’s like that around me. It doesn’t bother me.” I said with a smile looking over at him. So after we all ate and talked about ourselves, me and Jack went to sit on the porch swing. And Jack began to explain to me about the whole Perry and Melcom thing. As we talked, I felt the cold air of the night brush against my face. And the smell of the night air was so refreshing- along with the grassy smell of what looked like a football field behind us. “It’s so big. The land of this place is huge.” I thought looking back unnoticeably. The cold air made me sit next to Jack even closer as it hit me in the face.

“All my life I have went by a Perry, but I’m really a Melcom. After my mother was pregnant with me; my dad Greg had to do some kind of mission for the government. And my mom knew he wouldn’t be coming back anytime soon; so she wanted someone to raise me as a father, and she got married to Jackson Perry. And all this time I thought he was my father, but really Greg is. I’m glad Jackson isn’t my father though.”

“Wow.. how do you live like that? Knowing the man that raised you isn’t your father? I couldn’t take that.”

“Well, Jackson isn’t much of a father to me; he never was. But Greg, he’s something more than a father- he’s a friend.”