Punishment

The entire school knew about the incident within a matter of hours, and as the week progressed, it became the center of conversation. Rumors ran rampant amongst the students, debating the cause of the battle, the people involved, and Dumbledore's reaction. Some seemed to be under the impression that the Headmaster had given Filch permission to bring back corporal punishment, and had the guilty students hanging by their thumbs in the dungeons every night. Some believed that Death Eaters had appeared to back up the Slytherin students, but these concerns were quickly dispelled by frustrated teachers.

In truth, McGonagall had marched the lot of them straight up to Dumbledore's office.

The headmaster had seated himself behind his desk and looked at all of them for a moment over his half-moon spectacles. "I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you how gravely disappointed I am. I am well aware that tensions have been mounting these past years, but an all-out brawl in the middle of Hogsmeade is unacceptable. I do not know who started the fight, nor do I wish to know. All of you are to be punished equally." He paused for a moment to adjust the placement of one of the delicate silver instruments resting on his desk. "Given the circumstances, the school is the safest place for all of you and for your classmates. To preserve this safety net, we ask simply that you try to get along with one another, if not for your sake, then for your friends'. For your younger classmates'." He turned to look at McGonagall. "I understand their wands were confiscated?"

"Yes, headmaster," she said. She drew from her robes a bundle of wands that had been bound together and handed them to him.

He unbound them and laid them on his desk, raising each one and inspecting it closely before setting it back down. "Your wands will be held in my care until the end of the week to avoid any further incidents. You will be provided with alternative assignments for any practical lessons your professors choose to give until then. In addition, you will all assist our kitchen staff with cleaning up after dinner each night this week -- including the feast on Wednesday -- and--"

"But, Professor, the Slug Club party is Wednesday!" Rosier interjected.

"--and you will be banned from all future Hogsmeade visits." He gave Rosier a disapproving look. "I'm well aware that Professor Slughorn has planned a Halloween party for several of his students and alumni, but I'm sure you're aware, Mister Rosier, that missing the festivities is part of your punishment. However, if you happen to finish your duties in the kitchen quickly, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to attend."

"Professor, I really think none of them should be allowed to attend," McGonagall said, to which a strangled cry of protest had gone up from several of the students. "I think it would help to drive home the point that they are being punished."

Dumbledore considered this for a moment, tapping the side of his crooked nose with a spindly finger. "Yes, Minerva, I see your point," he said at last, "but a bit of monitored festivity might do them some good."

McGonagall made a face that clearly said she disapproved of his reasoning, but kept her lips pressed firmly together and said nothing.

"Now--" Dumbledore had clapped his hands together and leaned back in his chair. "--I believe that settles everything? All of you are to go straight back to your dormitories. If I hear word of any skirmishes between here and there, rest assured that the ones involved will find themselves on the train home tomorrow morning. Off to bed with you." He had waved them off, and set about storing their wands carefully in one of the drawers of his desk.

More than a few Howlers graced breakfast in the Great Hall that week, including a rather embarrassing occurrence in which Rosier's grandmother burst into tears halfway through her lecture. Mariah had almost died of shame when her father sent her a howler with obviously no idea of how it worked.