Quidditch

The weekend found them straining under mountains of homework, which everyone gratefully threw to the side for the next Quidditch game: Ravenclaw vs Gryffindor. Slytherin was eager to see some retribution for their loss, but Hufflepuff was generously split. Needless to say, the Ravenclaws and the Gryffindors were feeling equally confident.

"This'll make up for all the points we lost in Transfiguration," Mariah pointed out as they crossed the grassy lawns with everyone else. "Let's just hope James made plans for McKinnon to hold out until we're pretty far up to end it..."

"Not if Cresswell manages to get it first. You never know," said Lily. "They've been coming up with some pretty good stuff lately." She readjusted her red and gold scarf over her shoulder and frowned, looking over towards the entrance to the stands. "What are they all doing over there?" she wondered aloud, nodding at a small crowd of Slytherins holding some sort of council. A few of them were looking over their shoulders and, seeing the two girls looking their way, glared and turned back to discussion.

"Maybe they're debating who they're going to attack in the hallways next," muttered Mariah. She watched the group, recognizing Lovell near one end, Rodolphus Lestrange beside him. They were arguing about something, she could see, but the others were not watching them. They were more absorbed in something Mulciber was telling them. As they passed through the entrance, her eyes met his, and she saw him grin just as she lost sight of him.

"Hope we can find a spot near the front without having to jinx anyone," chuckled Lily as they climbed the steps up to the stands. Mariah was about to comment when she heard her name called and looked down.

"Hey! Mariah, hold up!" She looked down to see Kurt running up past a few red-clad supporters. She glanced back at Lily, who looked confused, and then wary. Kurt stopped a few stairs down from Mariah and grinned up at her. "Hey, I was wondering if I could talk to you after the match," he said.

"Yeah, sure," said Mariah. "Um... where?"

"Just wait for me outside the stadium after," said Kurt, waving once. "I'll see you!"

"See you..." said Mariah, watching him descend. She looked back up guiltily at Lily, who looked conflicted.

"So when you said there was a guy..." she started. Mariah shrugged.

"Come on, let's go up," she said, continuing up the steps.

"I didn't think you meant Kurt Lovell," hissed Lily, walking alongside her. "Isn't he one of the supporters?"

"Well I asked him the other night and he said he wasn't sure, but he doesn't act like it. Look, don't tell the others or they'll never leave me alone. Promise? Promise, Lily?" Mariah whispered back pleadingly.

"I won't tell if you don't want me to," said Lily. "Does he know you're a half-blood?

"I don't know, we haven't talked about families at all. We've only met twice!"

They made their way up to where the Gryffindor supporters were jumping up and down, cheering, and made their way down to the front. Down on the field, the teams strode out into the center where the referee stood with the four balls. The captains shook hands. Madam Hooch blew her whistle and fourteen broomsticks took off into the air. She tossed the Quaffle into play, and the crowd cheered.

"Whoops, budge up there, ladies. Support committee coming through."

"Ah wha--NO, you lot, don't bring that giant banner over here!" cried Mariah, batting it away as it draped over her face.

"Oh come on, we're the moral support! They can't fly without us!" scoffed Sirius, acting mortally affronted as he held the banner aloft.

"Go support morale somewhere else! The fringe is getting in my face!"