Chapter Twenty Six

Song "You and I" Tyler Brown Williams

Jonah tiptoe his way into Mindy's room. Staring at her sleeping body laid across the bed and the chain bound to her ankle, pain and regret sear through him. How can he ever tell her that he had mistook her father for that of the devil and accused him of crimes he never committed. And on top of it all kidnapped her and mistreated her to the point of no forgiveness. To the women that he knew he had fell for from the first time he laid eyes on her but never wanted to admit it. To the woman that he claim as his, the woman that he....love.

Strolling over, he unchained her ankle dropping the chain to the floor. The noise was enough to wake her up. She rubs at her eyes before getting up into a sitting position.

"You're back." She said cautiously. She didn't know how his mood was, memories of the last time he return replays in her head.

He didn't have to courage to look at her, at her eyes. He just sat silently at the foot of the bed eyes casted down to the bed sheets.

"Jonah did my father do something again?" Her voice was already filled of concern which only made him feel guilty to his crime.

"No he didn't. In fact he never did anything."

"Are you okay?" she didn't like that he wasn't speaking. It only made her feared of what her father could have possibly done this time.

"No I'm not okay Mindy."

All the words that he wanted to say to her but didn't know where to begin. He can only say them in his head.

Her eyes averted to his hands.

"You're bleeding?" concerned apparent on her face. "Wait here." She immediately gets up and rushes to the bathroom for the first aid kit.

Returning she start working on his right hand.

His heart was torn. Even after all he had done to her, she still willingly helps him. He had hurt her so much, convinced her enough that even now she thinks her father is to blame.

Right when she finishes, he pulls her in for a hug.

"Jonah...." She was confused.

He buries his face into her shoulder. "Just for a minute. Let me stay here for a minute."

Hugging her tighter like his life depended on it, he never wanted to let go. Mindy's arm hesitantly at first slowly moves to hug him back. Patting him gently on the back.

*****

The next day, Mindy was in the kitchen already preparing breakfast. She thought it odd that Jonah wasn't up yet. Usually he will be the first one up and breakfast would be already prepared. The truck was still here so she knows he didn't leave anywhere.

Her concentration was elsewhere when she was pouring hot soup landing it right on her left hand.

"Shit. Why am I so clumsy?" Running her hand under cool water she still couldn't get her mind off of Jonah.

Last night after hugging her he went directly to his room without saying a word. She was worried about him not knowing what happened yesterday.

Turning off the faucet she pours two bowls of soup again setting them on the table. She tiptoe upstairs to his room, outside the bedroom door she gently knocks on it.

"Jonah?" she knocks again but there is no reply.

Slowly she opens the door and invites herself into his room. Strolling over to the empty bed she wonders where he had gone. Just then the bathroom door swings open stepping out a naked freshly showered Jonah covered only by a towel hanging dangerously low below his waistline.