Chapter Twenty One

"Where the hell am I?"

Mindy was starting to question her actions. Her plan was to only wander the forest for a bit before heading back onto the main road and hopefully flagging someone down. She didn't want to take the chance of being caught by Jonah. If she was to have immediately gone on the main road, she was sure that was where he would have headed first once he found out about her missing. But now she was lost.

"Oh god, how long have I been circling around for?"

Her nerves were getting the best of her and all she can do was talk to herself to keep her company from the all too quiet forest.

Her muscles ache and her stomach was crying nonstop. Skipping out on breakfast did her no good on this escape plan.

"It has to be at least noon or later now." She said looking up past the tree branches where the sun was high up in the sky now.

"Ahhhh why do I have such bad luck?!" she groaned.

*****

Jonah has been searching all day for Mindy to no avail.

"Where the hell did she go?" he was heavily breathing. He's been running between trees nonstop.

He knew his was around pretty well as long as he follow the stream of water he can find his way back to his place. But he had no luck in finding her. The sun was quickly setting and if it gets dark, he definitely won't be able to find her.

*****

"What am I gonna do?" Mindy was scared now.

The sun was setting and there was no way in hell she can survive a night in the wood. Sitting now on a log she takes in her surroundings.

"I feel like I've been here already. Ugh I can't believe I'm actually saying this but ogre come find me!" Huffing out a breath she closes her eyes and starting praying.

*Bang! BANG!*

"Ahh!" jolting up, she was caught surprise by the loud sound.

"Gun shot. Those were gun shots. Oh god, you answered my prayers sooner than I expected. Thank god." She runs towards the noise.

"Jonah!" she shouts a little too excitedly.

Running into a small clearing, she sees a tent set up and a fire burning next to it.

"Not Jonah. Campers?"

Regardless she was happy to come in contact with civilization again.

"Well, what do we have here?"

A vulgar male voice came from behind her. Mindy carefully turns around and came face to face with a chubby bearded man in his late 20s. He was dressed in camouflage wear with a rifle in his right hand.

"Ah hunter" she thought.

The way he was eyeballing her from head to toe brought a sickening feel to her stomach.

"Hi, ummmm... I got lost. Do you have a phone I can borrow? Or perhaps show me the way out of the woods?" She nervously asked gulping down her saliva.

"Ain't got a phone. Ain't no reception out here. Too far from the main road." He replied shifting his rifle.

Her eyes drifted to the rifle he was holding.

"Okay. Well can you at least give me directions?" She decided that she was definitely frighten of the man in front of her. "Or just point me the right way."

"Hahahaha" his laughter filled the silent forest. "My you're a beauty, I can have fun with you."

"Never mind I'll just get going now." She said before turning around right into someone's chest.