Chapter 11: The New Girl

That morning was a really bad morning. I'd tossed and turned all night. My back was aching , and four hours of sleep never kept anyone in a good mood. It wasn't planned but the first person to tick me off would receive my wrath.

I didn't want to be the new girl. My only consolation was that graduation was in less than two months, and hopefully those two months would go fast. And so begins the story of my first day at Riverside High.

I live conveniently two blocks away from the school. Yeah, thank God no school bus. My dad offered to take me, but the catch was that all staff are required to be there an hour earlier than the students. So thanks, but no thanks. Those that know me well, know that I'm not a morning person. Waking up earlier than necessary is never going to happen.

After I brushed my teeth and showered I put on my blue pair of Converse and black skinny jeans with a strapless baby doll top. I honestly hated doing my hair everyday. That may sound slob-ish but its a task that I could truly live with out. Waking up with perfect hair was my fantasy. I never will understand the girls who brush their hair a hundred times before bed - really?

Anyway, I brushed out my strawberry blond hair as I contemplated cutting off a long piece to make this task a bit easier, but then I opted out. My hair was six inches past shoulder length and honestly it was way to much work to up keep. I guess I was in the complaining mood today.

I looked at my phone and had three missed calls from Aiden. I didn't want to talk to him. I hadn't figured out how I was going to break the news to him. I wanted to hope that this was just a silly little rivalry between football teams, but even I'm not that delusional. I see the way these schools look at each other in restaurants, at the mall. It's an unspoken truth. Your only friends can be from your school, and if you're caught hanging out with the rivals you might as well just leave. They take this extremely seriously. Our friendship being completely cut off would be the right thing to do. I guess.

I don't want to force them to choose. I can save them the trouble and avoid them all I can - until I can. I'd finished fixing my hair into loose beach waves. I exhaled and made my way out, grabbing my back pack. I open the door and was startled half to death.

"Ah! Jesus Madds." Aiden gripped his jaw.

"Oh my God! Aiden, I'm so sorry." I ran to his aid. He looked at me in disbelief. How was I supposed to know it was him. After a while of apologizing we both sat down on the porch.

"Please let me at least look at it." I tried to move Aiden's hand away from his jaw.

"I'm fine - really." Aiden said unconvincingly. He griped his bottom jaw with his left hand, and spat out some blood. Suddenly he looked fine. Guys - always faking they're fine when clearly they're not. I really felt bad for punching him in the jaw, but to my defense, my reflexes are to defend myself - always. We sat on the my porch steps in silence. Finally Aiden broke the silence.

"Madds what happen with you, we were supposed to meet up with everyone at Tracy's house yesterday?" He looked upset.

"I wasn't felling well." I lied.

"Lie." He said flatly.