Epilogue: The Unexpected Happily Ever After

Four Years Later:

I looked in the mirror for the first time after my dress was put on, I'd seen the dress on me,but it looked so much more extravagant today. Looking at the reflection of my beautiful mother, struggling not to cry for the millionth time as she fixed my veil. It was hard to focus on anything else, but this moment. My bridesmaids giggled and laughed at whatever devilish topic had come into conversation. Looking at my reflection and my mother standing next to me took me to my eighteenth birthday. I still want to believe this is all a very long and good dream.

I smiled at the memory when I walked up to my mother's porch for the first time. Tony recounts the story the funniest. He swears that Mom almost tapped a hole through the floor, waiting for us to come that day. I remember Jordan standing with me, holding my hand when I rang the doorbell once, and the door swung open. I tried to hold back the tears from the memories of that day. My mother cried and I believe I cried more. I never thought having a mother could change me so much, but yes, she had changed my world for the better. Tony, on my birthday every year says that we will spend all my birthdays together and that alone makes my mother cry. I still cherish the day when I received the only birthday wish I'd ever made. Bring my mom back.

The bridesmaids started screaming and shouting in excitement as they assembled to give me the traditional bride gifts. My made of honor, Trish, ran up to me first. 

"I got something old!" She jumped with excitement . Trish never ceased to amaze me with the fact that the cheerleader inside hadn't died. Her tan still glowed from her honeymoon less than a month ago with Darrick in the Bahamas. She pulled out an average sized box from behind her. When I opened the box I was in shock.

"Trish, where did you find this? I thought these had been lost in the hotel back in Phoenix." I exclaimed. 

"Let us see!" Screamed her mother. With a wide smile. I pulled the delicate crown and mask out of the box. Oh's and ah's filled the room as I explained where it came from.

"About four years ago I went to Phoenix with Trish for a mini-vacation. That night we went to a huge festival in town. There was a competition for best mask and costume...and out of some odd and crazy luck I won. I was empress of the night. But the best part was that, that was the same night I had my first dance with Tony." Awe's filled the room as all eyes landed on Hannah. For my selfish sake I'm glad Jordan and Hannah never really followed up after their first date. She claims Jordan was already pinning after me, but there were no hard feelings and we all kept in touch. After a couple of friend gatherings Tony and Hannah really hit it off, and of course I take full credit for that match-making.

"Don't tell him I said that!" I warned Hannah.

"No! It'll get to his head!" She laughed along with everyone.

"And the mask!" Trish exclaimed.

"Oh yes! The make was given to us by an old but sweet shop keeper in Phoenix. She was a holocaust survivor with no daughters to inherit them. She said she'd never met anyone who deserved them more." I smiled. I'd hated myself for years. I thought my masks had been lost forever.

"It's true, I still have mine!" Trish beamed

"But how did you find this?" I asked engulfed in curiosity. She giggled.

"I was packing up my things in the attic to move after the honeymoon with Derrick when I came across them. Gerardo brought the crown and mask up to me when they took you to the hotel's infirmary, and then it was months before I saw you again. I just forgot about them." She said still bewildered at coincidence of finding them weeks before my wedding. Trish gave me a huge hug, and I almost cried.