Chapter Thirteen

Enjoy!

Chapter Thirteen

Someone was poking me with a knife.

“Stop that,” I mumbled just as there was an awful noise which I won’t explain in detail but trust me, it was gross. I let out a muffled shriek.

“Hold that,” I heard Grant say. I opened my eyes a sliver to glare at Grant who seemed to think he was some kind of surgeon but I shut them again quickly when someone started pressing down on my wound.

It felt like I was on fire. I could feel sweat on my forehead and my teeth were clenched trying to keep myself from screaming. “Jesus,” I muttered.

“Jade? How are you doing?”

“Jackson?”

“I’m right here, Jade.” His voice sounded strained as he spoke but hearing it made me relax a little for some reason. “Wouldn’t it be better if she was unconscious?” he said more quietly, the question not directed at me.

“Probably,” Grant said wryly. “But I don’t have anything to knock her out with.”

“If you would’ve properly learned the pressure points, it would’ve been easy,” I mumbled.

“Now isn’t the time to be insulting me, Jade,” Grant said and I opened my eyes to see him approaching me with surgical gloves on his hands and a shiny instrument in his grip.

“Oh god,” I groaned, letting my eyes close again.

Everything was silent for a bit which made me nervous and I felt the pressure on my wound let up, making me clench my teeth a little harder as cool air seemed to burn the exposed skin.

“If you mess this up, I’ll kill you,” Jackson said quietly making me open my eyes again.

The two guys were looking directly at each other and I could only see half of Grant’s face but I had a clear view of Jackson who had a serious look in his eyes as he stared calmly at Grant whose jaw muscle twitched but he gave a stiff nod before turning his face towards me and leaning close. “Jade, are you awake?” he asked.

“Yes,” I whispered, trying not to jump as the cool metal of his tool touched my skin.

“Too bad,” he muttered as he focused on his task.

It was horrible, I don’t know exactly what he was doing but it felt like he was making it worse. Every part of my body was tense and my teeth were gritted so hard together that my jaw was starting to ache.

“Jade,” Jackson said, coming up to my other side and gripping my fisted hand, loosening my fingers and lacing his between them. “It’ll be over soon just try not to think about it.”

I gave a short laugh which turned into a hiss of pain as Grant did something that I didn’t really want to think about. “It’s your own fault,” he said, unsympathetic. “You fought with a freaking shuriken in your side and all that movement dug it in deeper.”

“I didn’t notice it,” I whispered.

He snorted. “That’s ridiculous. Who doesn’t notice when a shuriken is buried in their side?”

“Someone who’s being attacked,” I hissed.

“Stop arguing,” Jackson said severely and when my gaze rested on him, he was glaring at Grant again. “You need to concentrate. Don’t make me regret not taking her to the hospital.”