Chapter Twenty-Seven

Okay, yes, I know, I'm a huuuuge slacker and whatnot and it took me sooo sooo soooooooo long to update this story and now no one is even going to know who Jade is let alone all the other charactes I'm throwing in here just to mess with your minds so here's a recap:

Jade: our lovely heroine, kick ass assassin type with a chip on her shoulder.

Jackson: Eye candy.

Bea: Nice assassin, part of Project Snow (breeding of assassins)

Sophie and Emma: Twins, assassins.

Tally: Assassin leader.

Dale, Vance, Logan: Assassins.

Honour: Bitchiest assassin of them all. 

Reed: Jade's mom's employer, helped raise Jade, became assassin king pin when Lemon died.

Grant: Jade's friend, knew her before she tried to leave the assassining business, works with her now along with the other kids from Project Snow.

More than likely, I'm missing people but you get the gist. Enjoy!!!

Chapter Twenty-Seven

“Mommy, she’s scary.”

I quirked an eyebrow at the little girl as she walked by, tucking her body so closed to her mother’s legs that the woman nearly tripped.

The mother cast a glance at me, her face paling as she wrapped a protective arm around her daughter and dragged her away.

I scowled after them but ducked a little further behind the large tree that was currently acting as my cover. It had taken me nearly three days but I’d finally made it back without having any run ins with the rest of the kids from project snow.

My guess was they thought I was dead which worked out very well for me.

I felt a twinge of guilt for Grant though who’d been sucked into that life because of me and had to deal with psychos like Honour because I was born a freak.

Sorry, Grant.

I leaned my head against the tree behind me, the bark sticking to my hood, pulling it back from my forehead slightly but I didn’t care. I was exhausted and dirty and hungry and I had no money.

And apparently I looked scary but I hadn’t seen my own reflection in a while so I couldn’t be sure.

I pulled the hood further up, covering my face as much as I could. I’d stolen the sweater from the lost and found at the bus station, needing something to cover myself with. The toque covering my hair was another pilfered item that had come in handy but now that I was back in town, none of it felt like enough.

Especially considering I was creepily standing next to the high school, hoping to maybe catch even the briefest of glimpses of Jackson as he left school.

Which was incredibly stupid. Every single piece of me that was trained to be stealthy, to turn everything off in order to complete a mission was urging me to do so now and crawl into a hole somewhere to avoid being seen by anyone who might know me.

Including but not limited to Jackson Ryder, love of my life, possible soon to be orphan, and guy who now most likely hates my guts.

So yeah, self preservation wasn’t high on my list of things to do. Trekking through a forest for an entire day with very little knowledge of where you were going tended to weaken a girl. Sue me.