Chapter Twelve (Duplicate)

Something is going weird with the way things are uploading lately so there might be two chapter 12s. I just wanted to make sure that it stayed up this time. Sorry everyone!!

Dedicated to jamie_kins for making me a lovely cover! Thanks!!

Chapter Twelve

We didn’t end up making it to the movie. Instead, the four of us piled into Grant’s apartment and after everyone’s injuries were tended to, we stood awkwardly in the living room, eyeing each other warily.

I sighed. “Okay, I’ll start.” I looked at Char who was definitely feeling uncomfortable with this situation. “How many people besides the two of you are trying to kill me right now?” I asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

She glanced over at Dave who gave a slight shrug of his shoulders. “It’s an open contract. There’s no telling just how many assassins are after you. The pot is sweet too, a million for you dead, two for you alive.”

I blew out a breath and sank onto the couch. “Awesome,” I muttered, rubbing my temples. “Okay, but if I get to Lemon first then it won’t matter. No Lemon, no money, right?”

“Well that’s nice but how do you expect to beat him? That place is like a fortress and it’s crawling with well trained killers. You would need some serious inside information to pull it off.” Dave said and I gave him a meaningful look. “Oh no. No way. If we help you and you don’t succeed at killing him, we sign our own death warrants.”

I scowled at him, taking in his chocolate brown eyes and smooth light brown hair. He looked like he belonged in a boy band. His innocent face and youthful good looks would make people trust him but the deadly look in his eyes was obvious to me. He was a killer and I was fooling myself if I thought I could trust him.

“You’re signing your death warrant either way. If you don’t help me, I can’t let you go back to him with or without me. You know where I am, where my family is.” My eyes met his steadily and his narrowed at me.

“Are you threatening me?” he hissed, taking a step forward.

“I’m asking for your help,” I said calmly, ignoring his hostility. “I don’t want to kill either of you but if you force my hand, then I’ll do what I need to.” I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Come on, Dave, do you really want to be a killer?”

He shrugged. “It’s all I know.”

I looked at him steadily and nodded. “Okay. I can’t convince you to help me then?” He shook his head, remorseless. “All right, then I’ll just have to join him,” I said squaring my shoulders. “Looks like the two of you will be getting the two million after all.”

“What the hell are you doing?” Grant asked as I moved to stand in front of the young assassins.

“Grant, there’s a couple letters in my bag at home, could you please make sure that everyone gets theirs.”

“You’re not an assassin, Jade.”

I turned to look at him, my eyes cold, flat. “I am Grant. I was literally born to do this and I won’t put my friends and family in danger for my own selfish reasons.” I turned back to Char and David. “Let’s go,” I said just as there was a knock on the door.

“Is Jade in there?” Elle yelled through the wood of the door. “Come on, Grant, I saw your car out front, I know you’re there.”

Grant groaned and moved to open the door, letting Elle in who had a stormy look on her face. Her green eyes zeroed in on me. “He went out with another girl!” she shouted, moving towards me and gripping my arms.