Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Jackson stayed for breakfast that morning. Holly made some of the worst pancakes known to man but he ate every bite. He chatted politely with Richard and Holly and no one really brought up the fact that he’s spent the night. Richard would send a few questioning glances my way but he never actually said anything.

“I think they’re waiting until I’m gone to bring it up,” Jackson whispered just before he left.

We were standing in the foyer and Holly and Richard were watching CSI reruns on the couch a few feet away. I glanced over my shoulder at them and noticed their heads leaning slightly in our direction, suggesting that they were trying to listen in.

I sighed and gestured to the door. We both stepped onto the porch and I closed the door lightly behind me. “I can’t tell if they’re going to yell at me or not. What should I do?”

Jackson shrugged and smiled down at me. “I have no clue. My dad would be happy if you stayed the night, I think. He’s been trying to get me to ask you out since the day he met you.”

I laughed lightly. “The general’s a matchmaker?”

Jackson just smiled and shrugged again. We stayed silent for a bit and his smile faded, replaced by a serious look. “Don’t drink around Tally anymore, okay?” he said softly.

I nodded mutely, unable to speak for some reason as his gray eyes seemed to darken slightly.

“Jade about what you said last night,” he began and my heart skipped a beat as I mentally tried to go over everything I’d said the night before. Had I managed to totally blow my cover? “About your mom,” he continued, making my gut clench. Oh no had I mentioned her? I vaguely remembered telling him I missed her. Maybe he was just concerned about that? “I’m not sure if I heard you right but, did you say that she was murdered?” His voice was soft and his eyes were filled with concern as he looked at me.

I opened my mouth to tell him that he heard me wrong but for some reason, I couldn’t lie to him. I shut my mouth and frowned. “Jackson, I never meant to say that.”

A slight frown crinkled his forehead. “But it’s true, isn’t it?”

I nodded and suddenly he was reaching out and dragging me in for a tight hug. My arms were down at my sides as he wrapped his around me, holding me firmly. “I’m sorry, Jade,” he muttered into my hair as I stood stiffly in his embrace for a moment before relaxing and letting my cheek rest against his chest.

“Not your fault,” I mumbled as my eyes started to prickle slightly. After a while, he pulled back, looking down at me and I sniffled, sending him a half smile. “You made me cry,” I complained.

His lips quirked up and he reached a hand out to wipe a finger just under my eye where a lonely tear had fallen. “Barely.”

My cheekbone tingled where he’d touched and my heart was racing from all the contact. I briefly wondered why I hadn’t once considered stopping him. Even when he was reaching a hand towards my face, I’d never thought the move could’ve been a violent one. I blinked up at Jackson, realizing suddenly that I trusted him completely and for a girl with a past like mine, that could be a dangerous thing.

I took a step back and forced a bright smile onto my face. “Richard’s probably going crazy with questions by now,” I said, reaching back and turning the doorknob.

A questioning look entered Jackson’s eyes but it was gone quickly as he smiled back at me. “Good luck,” he said and gave me a thumb’s up before turning to go.