Chapter Sixteen

Before long I heard Stefan and Elena start to come back, so we pulled apart and acted as if nothing had happened.

Damon and I don't talk for the rest of the night. We were supposed to be best friends, not a couple.

Stefan and Damon drop me off before they drop Elena off. I get home to my room and cry. Why'd I have to kiss him? I could've resisted it. He was my best friend, now he'll never talk to me again.

I spend all weekend in bed and before I know it, it's Monday.... I really hope I showered at least once this weekend, but I don't think I did. Eww, Dessa, that's gross!! I get out of bed for the first time in days and take a shower right before school.

I go about my day, acting as if nothing happened on Friday despite the fact that Elena and Stefan keep trying to bring it up.
~~~~
I manage to go through the whole week without talking about anything that happened to anyone.

I get home from school that Friday evening and go straight to my room to find Stefan waiting for me. "I would've let you in if you knocked at the front door." I say without making eye contact. "No you wouldn't have." He's right, I wouldn't have. "Why are you here?" I ask, but he just answers my question with another question. "Why are you avoiding Damon?" He demands. "I'm not." I still refuse to make eye contact with him. "What'd he do to you?" He asks, sounding concerned. "What do you mean?" Why can't I understand anything? "Did he hurt you?!" It seems like Stefan actually thinks that he hurt me. "Yeah, he screwed me over." I say with tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. "What are you talking about?" Stefan asks, obviously confused, but I can tell that he's getting more and more fierce by each passing moment. "He stole my heart." Stefan sighs and the tears fall down my cheeks. "And mermaids are only ever able to love one person, and that's it. And.... and.... and he doesn't feel the same way." I say between sobs. "You don't know that." Stefan says while holding me as I bowl into his shirt. "Listen, Iradessa, it'll all be all right. Okay?" Stefan convinces me. "You're a really great friend, Stefan." I say and he hugs me. "I'll talk to Damon, okay?" I nod, "Okay."
~~~~
At around six o'clock at night, I try to run to a little lake around my house, I keep stumbling and falling, I have to go slow and steady, but I eventually reach the lake. I jump in and let the tail flop out, giving me an extra three or four feet in height.
I swim to the bottom, letting the water flow inside of me before I come back to the top. When I poke my head out of the water, I find Damon waiting for me.

"I knew you'd be here." He says and I smile, while looking down at the water. "What are you doing here?" I ask and he says that he came to talk to me. "I wanted to tell you something." He smiles an adorable little smile that makes my heart melt. "I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn't something about you at all. It was just you. I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and I am in love with you. You've made me realize that there is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." He leaves me breathless. "I love you too, Damon, and I thought that'd destroy me, but you've slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart and I like it. I feel safe with you, because I love you." By the time I finish this I'm in tears. Damon walks into the water and picks me up. "Let's go home."