Chapter Seven

Caroline suggests that I get my camera so that we can remember our memories together (When'd she get so nice?), so I go to my room to fetch it. I find Damon in my room once I get upstairs. "Whatcha doing in here?" I suspiciously ask, and he turns around, as if he's surprised I caught him, but I know he's not. "Just looking around.... I like your decorations, by the way." He says while gesturing to all the seashells on my walls and furniture. "I'm serious, you seem like the person that's the life of the party, don't you know the party is downstairs?" I rhetorically ask with a twist of sass and he just smirks. "I guess I have to go be the life of the party then" and then he leaves.

I walk downstairs, camera-less, so I'm forced to go back to my room to find it.... and this time I find Stefan in my room. What do these vampires want?! "So I know that you and Elena are very close" His hazel-ish brown eyes lock with mine. "I was wondering if you thought she likes me, you know, like likes me." He continues. "Are you for real? Yes, a thousand times yes!" I reassure him.

Once I go downstairs (for the second time), with the camera, I find Stefan talking to Elena, fingers crossed that he's asking her out. I glance across the room to find Condatis chatting it up with Damon. Hmm.

~~~~

I'm finally free to relax after everybody finally leaves. Despite the fact that it's midnight, I'm going to take a bath.... it's the closest thing to swimming. God, do I miss the ocean.

I slowly undress myself before I get into the silky warm water. I crank the water off and add bubbles. I close my eyes and allow myself to drift off into a meditation to the background music.

The music suddenly comes to a sharp stop. I open my eyes quickly to find Damon fearfully starring at me. "Why do you have a tail?!" He asks with a crack in his always steady voice. "I can explain" I try and he turns around, "Then explain." He says. I get dressed as fast as I can, but my tail doesn't just go away, so I have to used my powers to dry it. I slip on an over sized T-shirt that make me look like I'm not wearing pants, but I swear I am, short shorts, but still.

I meet Damon in my room with two cups of coffee. "Start talking" He says before I even get the chance to give him his mug. "Well, as you might have been able to tell, I'm a derketo." He looks at me confusedly. "Which is another way of saying siren." A look of alarm crosses his face, "Aren't sirens evil?" I shake my head. "A siren and a mermaid are the same exact thing. Both have a piercingly enchanting voice. I'm not sure why people think they're different." He nods along. "And as I get older, I possess more and more powers." He continues nodding. "Okay, but how were you alive in the 1890's?" He must have recognized me. "Well, sirens take ten times longer to age than humans, so I'm seventeen now and since it's 2016, I'll be eighteen in 2026." He nods. "What about your eyes, what's up with that?" Wait, what? "I could ask you the same. You have normal blue eyes, I have normal blue-ish green-ish purple-ish eyes." I try convincing him, "Because that's very normal." He says sarcastically. "Hahaha" I add, also sarcastic. "Were you born this way?" I nod. "Interesting" He does his weird eye thing were he moves his eyebrows up and down in a strange pattern. "Oh, yeah, must be fascinating" I giggle a little while I say this. "Now why are you so insecure? You're so adorable with the little laugh of yours." He bops my nose playfully in a friendly, not lovely, matter. "You know you can't compel me, right?" I check, and he nods.  

"You're not going to tell anyone, right?" I ask after an awkward moment of silence. "Nah, maybe Stefan, maybe." Damon responds. What?! Nobody means nobody, not even Stefan! "Or not Stefan?" I breathe out the breath I'd been holding in for so long. "No thank you." I smile warmly. "I could tell from the look on your face. You looked absolutely terrified." He smirked for the hundredth time tonight. "That's because I was."