Chapter Eight

"You're not going to tell anyone, right?" I ask after an awkward moment of silence. "Nah, maybe Stefan, maybe." Damon responds. What?! Nobody means nobody, not even Stefan! "Or not Stefan?" I breathe out the breath I'd been holding in for so long. "No thank you." I smile warmly. "I could tell from the look on your face. You looked absolutely terrified." He smirked for the hundredth time tonight. "That's because I was."

"Tell me one of your mermaid adventures." I look over at the clock; two am, yikes. "Fineeee. But only if you tell me a vampire story." He nods. It's not that late anyway. "Once upon a time I met this girl, her name was Katherine, but I just called her by the name of Cat, who ran a tribe of mermaids. She was pure evil. I remember when we were once playing truth or dare, and I chose dare, she dared me to walk on land, which was considered extremely brave since barely anyone had ever lived else were. Since I feared her, I went on land. If you're imagining that I had a nice. shimmery top to match my tail, you're wrong" He interrupts me, "Don't worry, I know, I saw." He smiles before I get back to my story. "Anyways, I eventually dried and my legs appeared. I was so weak that I couldn't even walk on them, and when I did, it felt like I was walking on broken glass, so I was stranded on a private beach without food for two weeks." I say, lightly laughing at the end. "So that's why you're so skinny." I shake my head at his comment. "No, I don't have nearly as many bones as a human does. I don't need a rib cage, nor do I need lungs or many of the other organs in a human body, I have a heart, but it's extremely small since it's not necessary. I'm also missing some bones that should be in my legs, which is another reason why it's so hard to walk." I say and he nods.

"So my vampire story," He starts. "There was once this girl who compelled two humans to be in love with her without the other knowing. Right before she was locked away, she turned both of the humans, who happened to be brothers, into vampires. These two, new vampires spent a century and a half in misery without each other, despite the fact that they were best friends before." Damon finished with a painful sigh. I paced over to him and hugged him tight, "You know, it's never too late to restore things with Stefan." He took a moment, then smiled as if nothing happened. "I'm serious, Damon. Family is forever." I still didn't let go of him. "I'm serious too, back off." He shoves me lightly, but forceful enough to get me off of him. "I can't force you to talk about it, but when you're ready, I'll be right here." I smile kindly. Maybe he isn't so bad after all....

"How long do you live for?" Damon asks out of nowhere. "Forever, if I'm careful. I will never die of 'natural causes', such as old age or a weakened immune system, but as long as I'm not eaten by a shark or thrashed against a rock, I'll be fine." I respond. He studies my face. "But won't you get all old and wrinkly?" I shake my head. "Sirens are promised everlasting beauty. Centuries ago it was more common for sirens to lure men into the sea so they can fall into lust with the sirens, so they would be beautiful so that it would be easy, therefore, my body knows that whenever my beauty reaches it's peak, I'll look that way for the rest of my life." Damon nods. "So, what do you say, can I hear you sing?" He asks, but I can't tell if he's being serious or if he's kidding. "You will never, ever hear me sing." I say and he rolls his eyes.

"I don't mean to be a burden, but I know for a fact that vampires sleep, and mermaids do too, so yeah, I'm just trying to say that I'm really tired. So yea...." I'm not even able to finish my sentence before I fall into a deep sleep.