Chapter Ten

I walk home after I've helped Elena. I go to my room the second I get home and wait for her text messaged after her date about how it went.

I'm forced to an abrupt awakening. "You have to go to church." My mother says and I roll my eyes. "Why? Because we believe in God?" I ask, widening my eyes. "Well, we need to blend in, and it's notable when someone doesn't arrive to weekly mass. Remember, this is a small town." My mother says gingerly. "Plus, today is the day to worship God" she tries to convince me again. "Which one?" I actually see her smile.

I pull a white, lace dress and blue high heels. I'm still short with them on. After I do my hair, my mom forces Datis and I into the car to go to church.
"Why are we here?" I ask Condatis the second we settle down in the church, and he just shrugs. "Mother wants us to fit in." Datis says and I roll my eyes and lean back into the uncomfortable wooden chairs.

~~~~

Instead of arriving late to school again, I arrive 10 minutes early so I don't get a reputation on Monday. It hurts like hell to walk so I go slow. I bring Mr.Saltzman a coffee and an apple. "I wasn't sure how you liked your coffee, so I brought you milk and sugar." I carefully place all the small packets of sugar and little containers of milk on his desk. "Why thank you, Iradessa, but you really didn't need to do thank." He says sincerely. "I wanted to" I say with a warm smile and take my seat before a flood of students enter the building.

"Okay class, don't forget for homework you and your partner will need to make a paper on the history of Mystic Falls." Mr. Saltzman says at the end of class. "Will you be pairing us?" Someone says from behind me. I've never heard her voice, she must be new in this town. "Oh yeah, okay, so...." I space out until I hear my name, "Iradessa and Stefan." This will be nice and awkward.

"Hi, umm, where do you want to meet after school?" I say to Stefan in the hallway. "How about my place?" I nod in agreement.

I walk to Stefan's house extremely slowly, but not on purpose. He greets me at the door and tells me to come in. I get to see his house much more clearly now. It's gigantic with dark walls and patterned carpets. Stefan leads me into his library. There must be a thousand books, at least. I can't help myself and I go to see what books he has. I feel the spine and pick up Unsolved Mysteries Of The Sea. I flip to a random page and read a small section of it.

I turn around, with the book still in my hands, to find Stefan curiously focusing on me. "This is wrong, this fact; Sirens are said to only live until they are around fifty years old. That's false." I say and he looks amused, "I'd assume" I quickly put the book back where it is.

"So how about this report, should we look up some facts about the history of this place." I suggest and he looks down for a moment, but then locks eyes with me. God, he's so mysterious. I thought I was supposed to be the mysterious one.... "Why should we? We were both alive to experience it." Stefan says and I nod, "oh yeah."