Missing

*Viktor's POV*

It was many months after Milena went to America and I hadn't seen her. Things had gotten worse in Europe and many people didn't dare walk out of the house. Indeed most people were cautious even to speak and it didn't ease worries that the Owl Post wasn't safe and the floo network was monitored by a newly appointed department within the ministry.

Milena was also superbly skilled at staying well hidden. The last time I'd heard from her Deatheaters had come looking but she lost them by taking a detour to Perth, Australia where some muggleborns were running a refugee camp to escape the punishment of the new pureblood regime.

I received a letter from her just a week ago but it came in code and stained into a clothe. She provided a riddle on how to reveal the message but it was her that had told me about the egg in the triwizard tournament and was no good with it.

That's why I'm here at Shell Cottage to see Fleur. She's smarter than people give her credit for and I have a feeling Milena meant for me to seek help from her.

I knock and Fleur's husband William answers.

"Have you heard from her?" He asks before letting me in. I didn't know why he was so protective of Milena but I was glad he was. I'd trust him with her life. I shake my head. He opens the door and waves me in.

"Oh Veektor." Fleur stands on her toes like a ballerina and kisses both of my cheeks. "Let me see zis letter." I hand her the folded clothe. "No wonder you could not read it." She says glancing at the riddle. "'Alf of zis is in french you poor boy." My suspiscions were confirmed.

"Then you can help me." I say hopefully.

"Yees. Yees, of course. Come 'ave tea wis me." I follow her to the small kitchen and she serves tea with little pastries. "She is a clever girl our Milena." She smiles down at the fabric clutched delicately in her small hands. "But sometimes she does scare me so."

"Vi? Waht is it?" I jump thinking she's found something concerning Milena. She frowns and fills a bowl with cold water and sets it on the table in front of me.

"I need blood." She looks queasily at me. "Just a drop of yours in ze water." I scrunch my face up at her. "She has to make sure it is you, you understand." I nod and she hand me a little knife. Without a second thought I let the sharp point slip through my flesh, my only thought on reading what my Love has to say. "Good." Fleur submerges the clothe in the water and I panic.

"Vaht are you doing?" I snap.

"Trust me." She says tenderly and looks at the bowl like she's waiting for something to happen. Suddenly, an inky purple substance billows out in wisps from the clothe. At first I think it's the ink seeping out but the words only reform. "Now you can get it."

"Vaht vas that?"

"Poison, if ze wrong person got it ze words wouldn't change and once wet ze poison would kill ze impostor. Our Milena is clever." Fleur smiles brightly. I read the letter out loud because I figure she deserves to know just as much as I do.

If you're reading this Viktor, thank you for not being too stubborn to ask for help and I apologise to both you and Fleur for the crude process of getting this letter.

I never got to the states. I couldn't bare the thought of putting my grandparents and friends in any kind of danger. I stayed her in the camp and they take really good care of me and the children. They've grown so much in the past few months. Rory asks about you all the time and Amalia too. Toby won't speak so we've developed a way to communicate but I know he misses you. They're so smart.

I've taken up post as a teacher and nurse here.

I can't believe it's been almost a year but I wait every day for the chance to see you again. It hurts. I hurt every moment of my existence because not even sleep brings me peace.

Just know that I am safe.

I love you with all of my heart.

Milena

P.S. Thank you so very much Fleur. 

"At least she is safe." Fleur sighs.

"Agreed."

It didn't comfort me that Milena was in so much pain and the news about Tobias broke my heart. They were like my children if I would ever have any and I couldn't forgive myself for not being there with them.

*Milena's POV*

"Please Toby." I plead with him. "Just say my name. At least that."

Toby shakes his head and plays with his little toy broom.

"He still won't talk huh?" My tentmate D'anna kneels beside me.

"Nope."

"I'm really sorry."

"Not your fault but thanks."

"We've got new arrivals so Onora needs you down at the clinic."

"How many?" I furrow my brow not really wanting to know.

"Ten I think. Maybe fifteen."

"Yeah great. Thanks." I stand and stretch. "Can you watch them?"

"Of course."

This has been my life for nearly a year. I almost run the camp with Onora being our actual leader. We move when we have to and our most powerful charm workers make sure we're protected. They take shifts in keeping the charms up.

"Evening Milena." I hear several people greet me on my way to the clinic tent. All the support I got from these people made me even more resolute in fighting when the day came. Whenever the day came.