The Delegation

By now it's barely two months into term as it's the 28th of October and the whole of the school vibrates with excitement for the special announcement at dinner tonight.

"Could you even guess what it could be?" Laura squeaks.

"Not if I gave it my last brain cell." Petar smirks.

"If you'd just calm down and wait for dinner maybe the time will have some mercy and not pass so slowly." I offer. She shakes her head.

"Nothing very exciting happens here. We didn't even gossip about Bulgaria losing the Quidditch World Cup." She gasps. "Oh don't tell him I said that." She pleads with me.

"Trust me I rather maim myself than converse or gossip with Krum."

"I do not believe I have ever heard someone say how much they don't like him." Petar looks at me with those sparkling eyes I've come to take some comfort in. "Every person likes Viktor Krum. The Great Viktor Krum." He says theatrically. I giggle.

"You mock me?" Viktor's riled voice comes from nowhere and I turn to see his pathetically furrowed face. I laugh.

"I do your majesty." I stand and curtsy. Petar stands beside me.

"Vee do not need to do this Viktor." Petar steps in front of me. Viktor draws his wand but I have mine in his face before he can bring his to Petar's eye level.

"You'll regret it." I hiss. Viktor smirks at me and lowers his wand.

"You have girl fight for you?" He laughs at Petar.

"No, Viktor." Petar chuckles. "I know not to fight girls."

Viktor looks slightly confused but looks at me and, with a tilt of my head, turns on his heels and leaves.

"I'm a snitch's width from cursing him."

"You probably shouldn't." Laura warns.

"Can't spare your boyfriend." I shrug. "Sorry."

"He doesn't even know who I am." Laura whines.

"Maybe it's because you don't stand up for anything." I sneer and storm off; Petar on my heels.

"I know I told Viktor I don't fight girls but maybe you should apologise to her."

"You should stick with your previous beliefs."

"Milena."

"What?!" I face him.

"Not everyone can be as brave as you." His eyes are soft and sympathetic.

"That's not bravery Petar. It's seeing what you can't lose and holding on to it." Tears sting the backs of my eyes but I refuse to cry. "I'm not brave." I continue toward the castle where I go immediately to my Charms class.

I can't help but sit broodingly in my seat, scratchily taking down notes until Viktor takes his seat and I freeze like I'd been petrified. Having nothing to say to Krum, I pass the class in silence not even raising my hand to answer questions or to pose them. Dark Arts happens similarly and my frustrated brain can't help but think that Viktor Krum has a vendetta against me.

When Dark Arts lets out everyone rushes to the hall for dinner and  the big announcement. Petar waits for me outside the classroom like he always does but unlike every other time he wraps me in a hug that I don't expect.

"I'm sorry." He sighs into my hair.

"It's fine. I was just angry." I say and gently pull myself away.

"That doesn't make you wrong."

"It doesn't make me any better."

Petar looks in my eyes and smiles.