Mir, Salaam, Pau, Peace

Today is the day of the second task and I tremble to know what it is the champions have to do. Avoidance had been the name of the game since the Yule Ball and I'd spent my days on the far side of the lake, closest to the Forbidden Forest, when I wasn't in class or sleeping and even sleep had some avoiding skills as of late. My hair, which was usually up in a tight bun, hung loose around my shoulders, falling to the small of my back. And even though I was wearing the same uniform that I do everyday there was a blatant casualness to me today. 

Again I sat closest to the judges box and stay almost glued to it. Vonn took the seat next to me.

"Will you cheer this time?" He asks, looking out at the misleadingly silken lake.

"No, but maybe I'll breath."

"Have you talked to-"

"No." He didn't need to finish his sentence because I hadn't talked to anyone.

"You should."

"I should what?" I finally look at him inquisitively.

"Talk to Viktor." He says as though that's what we'd been talking about the entire time. "He doesn't stop talking about you."

"And you're his confidant?" The wind blows my hair into my face and I shake it away.

"Something like that."

"Then keep it to yourself." I say pointedly and turn back to watch the sun flit across the water but never long enough to warm it.

"What's so wrong with him liking you?" Vonn finally asks exasperatedly.

"He doesn't like anyone. Girls are trophies. You've said as much."

"Not you. He just doesn't know how to work with that." Vonn smiles half-hearted and moves seats.

An electric current of sympathy puts my heart off rhythm. I hadn't been able to function properly with the knowledge that I couldn't explain how Viktor affected me. Maybe he could feel like I do but he could pinpoint what he thought was happening; I couldn't. That made us different enough to count the possibility out.

Someone else sits next to me and when I look over I'm more than shocked to see Sebastian.

"Sebastian?"

"So you haven't forgotten about us." He smirks.

"What are you doing here?"

"You've been writing less often and your mother's gotten worried. She took full advantage of my status and love and has sent me here to question you on the matter." I groan to his amusement. "I've decided against the questioning." Before I can think I've got both arms wrapped around Sebastian's neck, my head on his shoulder. But just as quickly I let go.

"Sorry." I have an idea though that I'll address later. "Thanks for coming."

"You're bothered by something. I can tell." Sebastian observes.

"Later." I say quickly as Dumbledore's booming voice sounds. The task frightens me even more than I had anticipated. Champions only had an hour to reclaim a treasure from the depths of the lake. To the ear that sounded fun - to reclaim a treasure - but to the mind it was shocking. I could only hope that as the gun sounded every one of the four competitors had a plan and were prepared to face what ever might lurk and live below the surface.

Just under half an hour passes and red sparks fly out of the water; to which three officials respond immediately by diving into the water and moments later dragging a sputtering Fleur back to the platform. The lesions on her arms and legs give me chills and I perch on the edge of my seat, the heel of my boot beginning a slow, nervous tap. I become increasingly worried when the clock chimes at their hour time limit but a minute later Diggory gasps for breath at the surface with Cho and begins his awkward one-sided swim back to the platform.  I still can't breathe as I wait for both Viktor and Harry to make it out of the lake alive. Shortly after, Viktor surfaces with a waking Hermione and I've got an inexplicable pang of something like jealousy, but like everything having do to with Viktor I dismiss it. Viktor leaves the platform, jumping the stairs to stand in front of me, towel around his waist and another around his shoulders. I have nothing to say to him so I simply nod and offer him congratulations while trying to see around his mass to await Harry's reappearance. Viktor storms off back to the platform.