Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

            The black, balding man ran in, a short creature, not quite human and not quite rabbit came bounding in behind him, wearing white gloves and a tuxedo, little black shoes, bowtie and all.

            The bespectacled rabbit leapt into the air, doing some sort of flip and twist in the air, flying over Petko and landing neatly next to Alice, pulling a golden pocket watch out of a pocket in his vest, flipping it open a moment and studying the clock’s time, his thin, spidery whiskers twitching a bit.  The rabbit flipped the top of the pocket watch closed just as suddenly and stowed it away again, giving a little cough as he straightened his bowtie, his cold blue eyes turning to stare at Mattheo, a flash of emotion in his eyes for only a moment.  Hatred?  Pity?  Nothing Scrunchi could quite read out of them.

            Scrunchi reached up to scratch the tove’s head, hearing it emit a low growl.  As soon as the tove’s coarse fur touched her fingertips, the creature fell silent, rubbing up against her hand, its long tongue flitting between her fingers, soft and even a little sticky.

            Thiên instinctively leaned in closer to Scrunchi, his eyes suspiciously studying the new arrivals, particularly wary of the rabbit.

            “Mistress Alice,” the rabbit bowed its head respectfully, swinging its black top hat off his head--it was a he Thiên assumed--and rising when Alice smiled at him.

            “Naru,” Alice smiled, turning to see Petko finally reaching her side, his brow shiny from sweat and bowing deeply and respectfully.

            “Petko,” Alice brushed his shoulder with her small, pale hand, her minty green eyes shining bright.  “I want you to accompany Thiên my dear Petko,” Alice said.  “And Naru, I think you can go accompany Joshua now that that pest Markl is gone.  I just received the news, too.”

            Both of her underlings nodded solemnly, Mattheo stuffing his face with food, careful not to glance over in Alice’s direction.

            “Mattheo!” Alice tapped her fingers against the table, Mattheo flinching at the sound of his name.  “Mattheo!”

            Mattheo swallowed the food in his mouth, making a face.  She only called him by name when there was either something she wanted, or something was terribly wrong, but no matter when she called his name, it always ended up bad for him.

            “Yes Alice?” Mattheo looked just above her head, not wanting to make eye contact.

            “You will be with Scrunchi,” Alice said sternly, kicking her chair back and getting up, brushing her blue dress off, spinning on her heels in a nearly perfect circle, clicking her heels together when she stopped.

            “Mattheo, you will take her to Rufus and have him find something for her to do,” Alice waved it off.  “And under no circumstances are you to leave her.  You will watch her very closely!”

            Mattheo groaned.  “But Rufus, he-” he was cut off by a glare from Alice, his annoyed face, twisting into an obviously fake grin.  “I’m sure he’ll love my company,” he rolled his eyes, Alice not seeming to take notice of his sarcasm.

            Shooting Mattheo a confused look from behind her veil of hair.  Sighing, she realized he did not catch her confusion and turned instead to Thiên, reaching for his hand from under the table.

            Thiên’s hand was clenched to a tight fist, but his hand relaxed when he felt her hand.  He uncurled his fingers and he took her hand in hers, glad for her warmth.  He squeezed her hand, not looking at her, but telling her things would be all right in his own way.