Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

            They kept walking, not quite knowing where they were headed.  All they knew was that Kiri was not with them, and they had to find her.

            Saubre had stayed silent almost the whole way, and it felt like hours since they had first arrived in the strange place with its long halls.  The only times she had spoken up was to ask which whey they would go when they came to a place the hall split in two or more ways.

            Lycurgus’ silence was what had been bothering her.  She had gotten the feeling he was naturally a little quieter than the average person when they had first met, but after his little fit and the desperate expression he wore, she could not help but wonder what he was thinking.

            “I’m sorry for making you walk so fast,” Lycurgus finally spoke up when they reached another place the hallway split in three directions, each hall seeming just as long as the next.  You must be tired.”

            Saubre jumped at the sound of his voice, forcing a smile and scratching the back of her head.  “Oh....  No need to apologize, this is the least I can do to help repay you for what you’ve done,” Saubre said softly, placing a hand on his tense shoulder.  “And I couldn’t live with knowing I did nothing to look for Kiri, she’s such a sweet little girl,” Saubre added, shrugging and stepping back when his crimson eyes turned to watch her.

            “I didn’t do much, just what any sane person would do,” Lycurgus said.

            “Well, by most standards, you’d be considered crazy,” Saubre let out a little half-laugh.

            “Then I don’t want to be normal if it means you have to hurt others just for the heck of it.  You hurt enough people when trying to protect those you care for....  Why hurt simply to hurt?” Lycurgus asked.

            “I knew from the first time I saw you that you were a nice person,” Saubre smiled.  “Picking up a strange orphan girl off the street, trusting her, trusting me, another complete stranger and then giving me a name....” Saubre rubbed her arms, feeling cold now they had stopped walking.

            “I’m an awful person,” Lycurgus huffed, turning away from her, his eyes directed towards the ground.  “I couldn’t do anything then....”

            Something told Saubre she should stop questioning him, but she wanted to know, she wanted to understand the man who had given her a name, given her a meaning to live, saying he would get her home, to wherever that may be now.

            “Lycurgus,” Saubre said in a hushed voice.  “I don’t think you’re a bad person now,” she spoke up, her voice growing steady and louder.  “I don’t know what you did, or what exactly your background is, but right now, you’re doing something for a good cause, and doesn’t the present matter?  Doesn’t the future matter?  I don’t know much about the past, but I can tell you that you’ve given me a future to look forward to, and I’m really grateful for that.”

            Lycurgus stayed silent for a moment.  “Thank you,” he gave her a smile, albeit a sad one.  “I suppose you’re right....  You sure you weren’t some philosopher before you lost your... name?”

            Saubre let out a little laugh, surprising herself with it.  “How would I know?” she asked.

            Lycurgus peered down the corridor to his right, frowning.  “Which way do you think we should go?” he asked.  “Wait... you said you could track us?”