Chapter Five

This one is for MFerril for all of his support and wonderful comments.  I really appreciate his feedback, and he's a very talented writer as well, now go check out some of his stories, he deserves it ;)

____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Five

            “And what does that have to do with us?” Lycurgus asked, patting Kiri on the head.  “I can’t get Kiri involved in this,” he said firmly, his crimson eyes coldly watching the doctor.

            “Well Lycurgus, knowing you, you’d be able to plot something out for us, you know- like a battle plan?” Mastiff asked, struggling to keep Reina in check while trying to drink his eleventh--or twelfth--mug of coffee.

            “Why me?” Lycurgus asked.  “Why not somebody else?” he inquired, turning to protectively stand in front of Kiri, who was hugging at his arm and happily bouncing on her heels, making humming noises.

            “Mmhhh, hmmm, muuuu-“ she sang as she bounced, her new shoes making soft clicking noises as she bounced.

            “Yehe-“ Reina smiled.  “Just a hug, pleeaaaase?  Don’t make me beg you to let me go,” Reina tried to pull away from Mastiff.

            “No, I am not going to let you scare that little girl shitless, and I’m sure there are others here not wanting you to do anything with her....” Mastiff chuckled, frowning.  “Oi, Reina, go get me some more coffee,” he said.

            “More?  Already?” Saubre blinked, making a face as she struggled to suppress a yawn.  “But so much?  You’re chugging it....  That can’t be healthy,” she said, tapping her fingers against her chin.

            “Oh it is unhealthier for me not to have caffeine in my system,” Mastiff said.  “You don’t want to meet me when I haven’t had enough coffee,” he said.  “Now go Reina, before I pass out or something.”

            “I’m going, I’m going,” Reina whined when he released her from his hold, pouting at Lycurgus, but her frown turning to a smile when Kiri giggled and waved a small hand at her.

            “Reina,” Mastiff warned.

            “I’m already gone,” Reina grumbled, stacking the mugs on the tray she had brought them in on.  “Twenty-three mugs, I think you beat your record,” she laughed.

            “Out,” Mastiff’s expression darkened.  “Unless you’re prepared for the consequences of not obeying, then stay.”

            “Buh-bye!” Reina swallowed hard, dashing out of the room at a surprising pace, miraculously not dropping anything off her tray.

            “Mastiff, why is she so scared of you?” Lycurgus asked, his left eye twitching uncontrollably.

            “Well Lyc-cy, that’s a se-cret!” Mastiff grinned, waving a finger along like a metronome with each syllable, finishing by fringing a single finger up to his pursed lips, winking.

            “Oi, Lick Our Gus,” the Mai Shashi spoke up, waving her legs around.  “Your friend here is some doctor,” she whistled.  “My knee barely hurts any more,” she grinned.

            “Her Doctor Mastiff?  D’ya think you could fix our Lyle’s bad attitude?” she asked hopefully.

            Mastiff chuckled and gave her a thumbs up.  “I dunno, but I can try,” he said, turning to Lycurgus.  “Oh Lyccy,” he called, dragging out his childhood nickname, his hands making odd grabbing motions in the air as he lurched closer, a dark glint in his eyes.