Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

            “Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,” the little girl sang as she walked, the red ribbon in her hair bouncing with every step.

            “Humpty Dumpty had a great fall!” she suddenly stopped walking, looking up at the clear blue sky, the heat of the sun seeming to suck all energy from her.

            A black bird flew overhead, making the little blond haired girl smile and set off to run after it.  “Come back birdie!” she called, her hair bouncing as she ran, along with her red skirt, her white blouse not looking like it would stay clean very long, the ends of her red bow flying in her face, not wanting to stay where it should, in place of where a tie would go.

            “Wait birdie!” the girl cried, her hands held up in the air as if she were trying to reach it.

            “I need to talk to you!” she yelled as she followed it around the corner of her suburban town.  “Brother needs to speak with you!” she huffed, beginning to slow down, her little legs unable to carry her much further.

            She could not have been much older then ten, her bluish-brown eyes seeming to darken in her sadness.  “Brother is going to get angry with me if you don’t come along!”

            Luckily for her, the big black bird landed on a stone wall, its golden orbs watching her, at one point it even cocked its head as if to ask, “why does anyone need to speak with a bird?”

            She finally caught up to the bird, pausing a moment to catch her breath, her hands on her knees, her heavy breathing slowly going back to normal.

            “That’s not funny Raven!” the girl said.  “If brother were here, he’d give you a proper scolding!”

            The bird opened its mouth to caw, but a man’s voice came out in its stead, not surprising the little girl in the least, “Which brother do you mean Lily?” asked the Raven.

            “Every single one but you Raven!” Lily exclaimed.  “Jay and Raph and Graves and Sture, but not you!  Silly bird!” Lily scolded him.

            “Now that’s not very nice Lily, but who said you could call me “brother” in the first place?” the Raven asked.

            “Albus did!” Lily said smugly.  “And I said before, brother needs to speak with you!”

            “Who?” the Raven asked, flapping its wings, a few loose feathers falling off in the progress, falling slowly to the ground, some staying on the wall.

            “That’s my line,” a tall man with an odd color of hair one could not call brown nor blond, the most fitting color one could use to describe his hair beige, sometimes seeming to have a pale blue sheen, or even pale red, depending on the lighting.

            “And next time you use it, try to get it right, it’s hoo,” the man said, running a hand through his hair, unintentionally making his hair stand back up.  It had taken him quite a while to smooth it down, and now all his hard work had been wasted.

            His attire showed he must either have been coming from a business meet, or was going on some important outing.  The only splash of color standing out was his dark green tie he had left undone, as he still did not understand how to tie it properly.

            The man’s eyes were the same golden color of the Raven’s, but he wore a pair of glasses on his nose, contributing to his know-it-all air surrounding him.