Chapter Fourteen

another chapter :D

_______________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fourteen

            When they opened their eyes, they were lying on the floor, sputtering for air.

            “Scrunchi!  Are you okay?” Thiên gasped, rolling over on is side to face her, her hand still held tightly in his.

            “What the hell?” Scrunchi coughed, feeling around for her glasses.  “I can’t see!”

            “Here,” the small, but dangerous, bell like voice.  She carefully held the glasses in her small thin fingers, holding them over Scrunchi’s head.

            Thiên reached for them, letting out a sigh of relief when the girl gave them over without a fight, or saying anything.  He tapped her exposed cheek to get her to lift her head, sliding her glasses on when she did look up.

            “Better?” he asked, lifting her bangs from over her eyes.

            “Much, thank you Thiên,” Scrunchi forced a smile.

            “Petko, go find Naru,” Alice tinkled, her lighthearted laugh turning into an insane giggle.  “And I see you Mattheo, sit doggy!”

            Mattheo had been trying to sneak away jumped when she pointed out she had noticed him, turning slowly.  “I’m not a dog.”

            “Come doggy, sit here!” Alice pointed at the space of floor on her left.  “Oh, and Petko!” she called after the black man’s fleeting back in the seemingly endless expansion of space which had only a checkered floor and little floating lights, seeming to gather and dissolve, coming together to form objects.

            The man turned around, his teeth surprisingly not hindering his ability to speak.  “Yes Alice?”

            “Go get Mimi as well, will you,” she waved him away, just as walls and a ceiling began to form from the dusty lights, along with doors and shelves, cutting Petko from their sight.

            “Where are we?” Scrunchi asked, sitting up, her hand still in Thiên’s.

            “Well, we’re not anywhere else.  Somewhere I suppose, not nowhere of course,” Alice tapped her chin thoughtfully, leaning backwards as if to sit down on the air.

            Scrunchi jumped when a chair appeared beneath Alice just as she was going to fall through to the floor.

            “But that makes no sense,” she reached to push her glasses up her nose, allowing Thiên to help her up, his eyes never leaving Alice.

            “What is there to understand?” Mattheo asked, leaning forward to place his hand on nothing--just as a table materialized--catching his weight, a grin spreading across his face.

            The table was long and set for tea, with mismatched cups, cakes, cookies and jars of sweets in all colors imaginable.

            “Come sit,” Alice invited them, gesturing to two seats near her.

            “That was not a suggestion you know,” Mattheo added, being ignored by Alice.  “What Alice says is law to everyone but herself, especially in here.”

            “Let me rephrase,” Scrunchi paused for a moment, her eyes wandering to the chair she was invited to sit on.  “Where is here?” she asked.