Chapter Sixteen

Okay guys this is a little chapter just to cover Aisling and Rory's... thing... so it's short sweet and simple with a few exciting bits on Dustin and Memphis.

On the side is the lovely Ash and Rory's 'couple song'

ENJOY!

~

Aisling's P.O.V

I skipped into the cafeteria and saw Memphis and Dustin already seated and eating. Dustin looked very animated as he spoke, using his hands as if doing so helped explain whatever he was saying. I giggled and went over to them.

"Hey, guys," I said as I sat down.

"You have no idea how-Hey Ash- hard it was to find," Dustin said.

"Couldn't you just call your phone?" Memphis sighed, "Hey Ash."

"Where's the fun in that?" Dustin pouted, obviously disappointed with the reaction he got from Memphis. Memphis stiffened as he looked at Dustin pouting. I rolled my eyes.

When were they going to hurry up and get together? 

Rory and I talked about this on the phone a lot in the evenings. We'd promised each other not to intervene. I was beginning to think that maybe we should, when Rory appeared and came over to us. He already had my lunch along with his. I smiled and wriggled in my seat eagerly as he sat beside me and handed over my turkey and cranberry sandwich and a strawberry yoghurt cup. He knew me so well.

I devoured my sandwich in minutes and then started on the yoghurt aggressively. Dustin chuckled as he watched me take a spoonful and sigh in satisfaction.

"Hey Ash, want to see a movie tonight? Mum got me two tickets to the opening screening I've been practically dying to see," Dustin asked me, winking slightly. Memphis froze again, but Dustin didn't seem to notice it at all. Rory stiffened too.

"I'm sorry, I can't, babe," I tried to sound apologetic. "I'm hanging with Rory after school." Dustin's eyebrows shot up into his hairline.

"Get out," he cried, getting to his feet and pointing to the door very dramatically. I made a mental note to compliment him on that later. He winked at me.

"I'm sorry D, next time?" I pleaded forgiveness.

"But they're none-refundable," he whined, slumping back into his chair, though I knew he wasn't actually angry.

"Take Memphis," I offered, smiling at Memphis, whose head shot up and he glared at me. Dustin sat down and patted Memphis' knee a billion times really fast to get his attention.

Memphis turned to him. "What?" he asked.

"Go to the opening with me tonight," Dustin ordered, not bothering to actually ask. 

Rory and I watched as Memphis mentally fought with himself, and we both shared a grin. There was no way Memphis was saying no to Dustin's pleading puppy eyes as he asked for some 'alone-in-the-dark' time. Rory slapped me a high-five under the table as Memphis nodded reluctantly. Dustin caught him off guard then by leaping to his feet and hugging Memphis around the shoulders, jumping up and down on the spot so he shook Memphis half to death. Rory and I both spotted the slight smile creep around Memphis' mouth as he blushed before concealing it. His shield was just too weak around Dustin.

Dustin went on about the movie for the rest of lunch, hopping around eagerly. Then the bell went and we all moved to English together.

English was slow and boring. Or, should I say, would have been boring, if Dustin hadn't been on 'hyper-run-around-the-class-room-and-not-give-anyone-a-moment-of-silence' mode. It seemed he was excited about his non-date with Memphis after school.

After twenty minutes, the very teacher who adored him to death threatened to throw him out of class if he didn't settle down, so I took his hand and rubbed my thumb in circles over his palm in a sort of soothing way. It seemed to work because Dustin became very quiet and still, starring off out the window. Rory tapped me on the shoulder and I leant back to him, as he leant forward to me, his lips at my ear.

"You found his off switch," he chuckled softly.

"No, I think he just realised what he's gotten himself into with Memphis and got nervous," I whispered back, giggling. Rory nodded and leant back, as I leant forward. We were both looking at Dustin as he blushed. 

I looked at Rory and he smirked, winking at me. My heart pounded in my chest. 

I looked him over warily, making sure he didn't notice. He was actually quite good looking. I wondered what he'd look like shirtless... My thoughts were snapped back when Dustin yanked on my hand and put his lips to my ear, trying to cover his mouth with his other hand.

"Why didn't you stop me?" he whispered in my ear, and it tickled.

"You were too excited, I didn't want to ruin it," I laughed. He pulled back and tried to glare at me, but it turned into a pout. I started pulling funny faces at him and he laughed, then pulled funny faces back. 

Memphis snorted, and then tried to cover it as a cough, but Dustin, Rory and I knew better. Dustin was the only one who could make him smile and laugh. 

The rest of the lesson Dustin and I drew comics instead of doing work and laughed at each other's pictures of ourselves.

The bell went, and I was happy and sad to leave. Sad because Dustin was going off one way and me the other. Happy because I was going with Rory. Dustin walked me to my locker, bouncing from foot to foot beside me. God, he was adorable.

"We should hang out Sunday when I finish work okay?" I told him and he nodded nervously. I put my stuff in my locker and took out anything I needed over the weekend and put them in my book bag.

"Hey," Rory said, appearing beside us, all ready to go.

"I'll see you later, okay?" I smiled to Dustin and he sobbed, holding his arms out to me and shaking with impatience. I smiled and hugged him, and he hugged me too tightly, shaking on the spot. I kissed his cheek.

"BYE!" he cried to me as he ran off to find Memphis.

"BYE!" I called back and then laughed as he walked into an opening classroom door. He turned and grinned sheepishly at me and then ran off. 

I was amazed Memphis had resisted him this long. 

Rory and I walked across the oval towards his house, which was only a few streets away from school, and when we were out of sight of anyone he took my hand and squeezed it. I looked up at him and smiled. Without warning, he cupped my chin and pulled my face up to his as his came down to mine and our lips touched. He kissed me twice softly and then pulled back grinning. Our first kiss.

"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that," he grinned.

"I think I can guess," I smiled back. He swung our arms as we moved on.

"When do you want to tell Memphis and Dustin?" he asked me without a care in the world. That's how I was feeling.

"Tomorrow at lunch?" I offered and he chuckled, his shoulders shaking as he laughed.

"Whatever you want," he mused. I leant over and kissed him on the cheek. His face was so warm, soft and sweet. I liked how he smelt. It was comforting.

"Don't you forget it," I giggled and he nudged me with his hand. He swung our arms over my head so that even though our hands were still holding each other, his arm was now around my shoulders and I leaned into him happily. 

I wanted this for Memphis and Dustin so badly. 

Dustin just needed to go for it, and Memphis needed to let him in. I had everything crossed their date tonight would go well. And if they weren't dating by tomorrow morning, I was going to have to take action. 

~

I wonder what movie Memphis and Dustin are going to see...