24. Insight

24. Insight

Marc
"You're saying she needs someone to watch over her until she's recovered." The doctor nodded. "It's also impossible to stay in the hospital." Again he nodded. "I see. Give me a few minutes."

I went upstairs to talk to Eric's psychiatrist. I wanted to know if it was okay to take him home. He said it was, but gave me medication that he should take to keep him calm. This was probably a bad idea but it was the only one I could think of. Of course Eric would come home with me, but I'm also thinking of taking Madeline home with me too. That way I could keep an eye on both of them. Having them in the same place after what transpired between us was a risk, but I really could not think of another way.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. When can I leave here?"

"I'm talking you home today."

"Good."

I opened my mouth and closed it a couple of times wanting to say it but couldn't.

"What?"

"It's Madeline."

"What about that bitch?"

"She's in the hospital. She had her appendix removed."

"Too bad it wasn't her heart," he mumbled.

"I'm thinking of letting her stay with us until she's fully healed."

"Because you think you have feelings for her and want to find out if you really do?"

"Because she has no one else."

"She should have thought about that before going down this road."

"It's in the past now." He looked at me like I was crazy. Obviously it wasn't entirely in the past but I've decided to let it go. "Will you have a problem?"

"It's your house. I don't have a say."

"Don't be like that."

"It's the truth. It is your house. If you want to bring that traitor there I can't stop you."

"Can't you try to forgive her?"

"No."

"Can you at least try to understand her then?"

"I understand she's a crazy bitch. That's what I understand."

I sighed.

"Fine. I'll try to be kind."

"Thank you."

I took them both home that day. They didn't say anything to each other. Maybe it was for the best. I couldn't deal with an argument between the two of them right now. I'm surprised Madeline didn't argue with me. She must have felt really defeated.

For an entire day neither of them said anything to each other. The silence was driving me crazy. At about six in the evening I saw Madeline venturing into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?"

"I should at least prepare the meals if I'm going to stay here."

"You shouldn't even be walking around. You just had surgery."

"I'm fine."

"You're going to rip out your stitches."

"I should at least do the cooking."

"You're not a slave here. You're my guest. You should be resting."

"No, it's okay."

"If she wants to overexert herself and rip out her stitches, let her. Maybe she'll bleed to death and do us a favour."