2. A fresh start

2. A fresh start

How dare that arsehole son of the devil think he can buy me and my silence? I slammed the car door harder than I had intended to and stormed into the house. I won't let him get away with this. I won't. Marc Paxton was a stupid man who wouldn't leave well enough alone.

"Maddie, what's wrong sweetheart?"

"It's nothing, daddy. I had some problems at the bank. That's all."

"Did it get resolved?"

"It will be."

"Your package finally came."

I forgot about my anger for a few minutes and grabbed the envelope from him.

"Why didn't you open it?"

"I didn't know I was allowed to."

"Daddy."

"Well go on and open it."

I quickly ripped the top of the envelope and read the contents inside. I couldn't contain the big grin that spread across my face.

"I got in!" I jumped up and down excitedly before stopping to hug my father tightly. "There's so much to do. I have to go to summer school first. I'll need books and I need to pay my fees. There's a list of all the things I needed to do before next week."

"You're really excited about this, aren't you?"

"I am."

"Well I guess that is to be expected. You were always happiest when you were studying. Congrats babygirl." He kissed my forehead and walked away. I knew I'd be busy once this thing started but I want to spend as much time with my father. It was just us two. I didn't want him to feel lonely.

The next couple of days were spent in preparation for school. I got everything I needed, paid all fees, bought books and also a car. I'd need it to get around. The only thing left to do was wait for it all to begin.

"Hey Maddie, I'm going fishing with Smitty. Will you be okay by yourself?"

"I'll be fine daddy. Go have fun."

The rest of the afternoon was spent reading and getting familiar with the new information. At around six I started preparing dinner so that daddy would have a hot meal when he came back. My phone rang in the middle of my preparations and I had to pause because of who it was.

"Why haven't you called me? Do you know how worried I am about you?"

I smiled. "I'm fine, Kaitlyn. What's up?"

"Do you know what that arse did to me?"

"Which arse are we referring to?"

"Niko!"

"Oh, that arse."

"It's not funny, Madeline."

"What did he do this time?"

"He got me pregnant. I'm pregnant," she said with a sigh.

"What? That's great. Why are you so upset? Congratulations, Kaitlyn. Children are blessings. You should be happy."

"I am happy. It's the timing that I hate. We're getting married in little under a year. My dress has already been made and fitted. I will not alter it for a baby belly." I laughed. Only Kaitlyn would think like that.

"How far along are you?"

"A little over two months."

"You had no idea?"