14. Be careful what you wish for

Madeline
"You didn't come home last night."

"I know."

"You stayed at the hospital."

"You already know the answer to that, Noah. So why ask?"

"A lot of things are starting to make sense now."

"Such as?"

"You and Paxton are too familiar with each other." I remained silent. "I didn't ask you before because obviously it was none of my business,  but I'm asking now. When you left New Zealand after your father's death, was it with him?"

I contemplated my answer.

"Yes. Back then I was in a really bad place. Marc brought me back here with him. I stayed until I was back on my feet and was capable of moving on with my life without feeling like I wanted to die. Zayden was the one who really helped me through it. Knowing I had a small child depending on me to take care of him was enough to make me get out of bed everyday."

Noah pulled me into his arms.

"Could you be anymore perfect?"

I smiled. "Am I forgiven?"

"Always. I knew you loved children but I didn't know it was this much. It makes what I'm going to say next so much easier."

"What's that?"

"Let's have a baby."

"Are you serious?" I always knew I wanted to have kids but I've never thought about what the father of my children would be like. Noah was perfect. How could I even consider saying no to him?

"Is that a yes?"

"It's a yes."

He kissed me.

"Let's start working on it now."

I laughed.

"You have to go to work."

"Later then."

"Definitely later."

Before we could actually start working on a child I wanted to make sure it was a possibility. Because it was short notice I once again needed the devil's help to secure an appointment. I hated asking him for anything especially after our last meeting which left me confused, but I needed it. He came through for me even though he was worrying about his son. He never once asked me why. I appreciated that.
*****

"Ms. Patel, what can I do for you today?"

"I apologize for the short notice."

"It's no problem at all. I owed Marc a favour." I raised my eyebrow at the familiar way she said his name. "We're old friends." I'm sure they were. "So what can I do for you?"

"I'd like to know if I can have children."

"All right." She gave me a form to fill out which I was expecting. I filled it out to the best of my knowledge and answered her questions. The next thing I had to do was a physical examination which I wasn't looking forward to, but it needed to be done.

Everything went quickly and smoothly and finally I was at the point where I would know if I could or couldn't have children. I was a little nervous. Dr. Parkins looked at me and smiled.

"Everything is fine. Actually you're more than fine. You were worrying for nothing. You're already pregnant. Congratulations."

"Excuse me?" I thought I heard this woman say I was pregnant which would make no sense because I'm on birth control, birth control which I was told was very reliable.