12. Smitten

12. Smitten

Marc
"You make a beautiful bride, Kait."

"Thank you."

"Are you happy?"

"I am. He's the love of my life."

"I'm happy for you."

"You'll find love like that someday too, Jax."

I laughed. "I'm not looking."

"That's when it finds you, when you're not looking."

I didn't comment on that because I had nothing to say.

"I see your vice president is back. Is it for good this time?"

"Yes. She'll have to go back to finish taking care of a few things, but she's making the move in about a month. Her boyfriend is moving to New York, too."

My step faltered but Kaitlyn didn't even notice.

"Boyfriend?"

She nodded.

"I think they're so cute. He's a doctor."

"Interesting," I drawled.

"I'm glad she's moving on with her life. Maybe you should too."

I'm glad the song ended when it did so we had to end our dance. I did not want to get my sister started up on the topic of me moving on.

So Ms. Patel had a boyfriend. I targeted her for the next dance.

"I'm surprised you're not running from me here, Madeline."

"Where would I run to? I won't ruin my friend's wedding."

"Where's your boyfriend the doctor?"

She smiled. "That's none of your business." My grip tightened around her waist.

"I'm making it my business."

"Is that so?"

I gave her a look.

"Have you slept with him yet?"

"He's my boyfriend. What do you think?"

"You've changed."

"Have I? I don't think so. You don't know me well enough to say something like that."

"I suppose you're right."

We finished the dance in silence. It didn't sit well with me that she went back to that doctor, but it really wasn't any of my business. That doesn't mean I couldn't make it my business.

"Da da."

I caught my son before he could fall. He'd been walking a lot lately. I loved it. It made my day just to see him walking and sometimes running towards me, his father.

Even though my attention was on my son I was always aware of where that woman was in the room. Wherever she went my eyes discreetly followed. As soon as I saw an opening I took it. I handed Zayden over to my father and went after the woman I hadn't been able to stop watching. I cut her off before she could enter the restroom.

"What's your problem?"

"I'm having a hard time understanding how you could leave in a situation like that. Why did you go back at that particular time?"

She sighed.

"Listen, I don't owe you an explanation but I'm going to give you one anyway so you can stop bothering me. I had things to deal with. I had my own affairs to see to. I didn't have time to worry about whatever situation you'd gotten yourself in."