15. Company

15. Company

Marc
I don't think I could ever survive another two weeks like the one I just had. I came close to losing my son not once but twice. Dr. Harrison never gave up once. I owed him. He worked nonstop; around the clock just to make sure that Zayden did not succumbed to his illness. I owed him so much.

"How is he?"

"The good news is that he can go home today."

"That is good news. What's the bad news?"

"He needs to be monitored at all times."

"I can do that."

"That would require for you to be in my home. You can see how that would be a problem for me."

"Do you hate me that much that you can't even stand to be in the same house with me?"

"I'm not going to answer that, Safiare."

"I want to move back here. I need to be closer to my son."

"We had a deal."

"You can revise it if you want to. You just do not want to consider what I have to say."

She was right. I've never been interested in anything she has to say from her betrayal of me and my family.

"All right, Safiare. Let's hear what you have to say."

"We'll get a divorce. I won't ask you for anything. All I ask is to be near my son."

"If we get divorced now you'll be giving me full custody. That means I say when and where or even if you get to see him. What would be the point?"

"You wouldn't keep my son away from me. I know you."

"I wouldn't, but I'd have more of a right to do so if we get a divorce. It's up to you really. If you want to move back here you can, after our divorce is finalized. Once it is, we are done. Any interaction will be done through my lawyers or my assistant. If you really want to live like that then we can sign the divorce papers as soon as you're ready."

Safiare and I spoke no more about that. We avoided the topic and got along perfectly for our son's sake. I wish I could have given Zayden the home and life he needed, but I couldn't forgive Safiare for what she did. I wouldn't punish her by using our son, but I didn't want to spend any unnecessary time around her.

I did compromise on her staying at the house. Until Zayden was up and back to normal she would stay at the house. I'd planned to stay out of her way but I wouldn't be uncomfortable for her sake.

After a week of Safiare in my home I wanted her gone. Her presence made me grumpy. It took a lot of restraint for me to not kick her out. Eric found it amusing on one of our phone calls.

"Are you hiding in your bedroom right now? Is the wicked witch of the East giving you trouble, Paxton?"

"It's not funny. She thinks it's still her home. She cooks and bakes and cleans like she's still my wife. I'm going crazy."

"Technically she's still your wife."

"You're not helping, Ryan."

"Just tell her to leave. I think a week is enough time."

"I can't tell her that. She's his mother."

"And it's your house. She's still his mother outside of your house."

I sighed.

"It's not that simple."

"Are you afraid of the witch, or do you still feel something for her?"