0.2;"Lucas, no happiness comes with dying."

As Luke began to smile at me, I felt a warm feeling inside my chest. This boy was beautiful and the way he smiled at me sent my insides mushy, besides them already being mushy.

"Oh, uh.. Hey Luke, I'm Naomi. So, what brings you into hospital on this fine day of death?" I giggled.

He grinned wildly at me, before replying, "Well, Naomi it's lovely to meet you. And I'm in here due to a certain type of illness which is quite ironic. You have to guess what type it is."

I thought long and hard. What's so ironic about a deathly illness? Then it seemed to click in my head. "Wait it has something to do with your name doesn't it?" I bit my lip in curiousness.

"Maybe it does dear Naomi" he chuckled at me, sending my brain and heart into a 3rd world dimension where only he and I existed.

"Well, on a sheer note of curiosity I'm going to guess that it's leukaemia." I patiently waited for him to reply as he rolled onto his side to face me directly.

"Sadly, yes. It's chronic leukaemia and it's quite amusing when I think of it. Obviously not amusing that I'm dying, I mean. I wouldn't want to die exactly, but at the same time I would, you know? My life's not exactly worth it and I'm just consuming more oxygen that someone else could have. It's not that I have a death wish for myself, oh no. I just wouldn't mind dying. What about you sweet Naomi?" He half-smiled at me, trying to make his voice sound as less shaky as possible while I racked my brains for something important to say.

"Well, Luke I understand completely what you're trying to say, although it is quite upsetting. I feel like that at times too. But honestly I wish I could die as soon as possible. My life isn't worth it at all. Not many people would miss me quite as much as I'd want someone to miss me. I like to think that maybe if someone cared I could go on and recover. But anyways, I have a weird type of death lurking in my body. It's best known as non-melanoma. Which is great in my case because my body doesn't respond well to treatment." I chuckled a little at the last sentence. Yes, I may have looked like a complete psychopath, but at least it was completely true.

"Nomes, why would you want to wish death upon yourself like that? I've only known you for a small amount of time and I'm already enjoying your company. Honestly, I'd care if you'd go. And you are worth it, you're worth every single cell in your body, even if they are dying. You're worth every single grain of sand in the Sahara desert and you're worth every single star in the sky. Please don't ever wish to die, because somebody out there would be upset that you don't physically exist. And that someone may be me in the future." His words seemed to slowly infect me, making me rethink what I had said to him. His words were beautiful, they were exactly like him, something else I was growing to appreciate.

"Lucas, you're a lovely human being. But my views on death won't change, I'm a stubborn person and I'd prefer to end my days being stubborn. So, what music are you into?" My first resort in conversations are almost 90% music related, and I honestly couldn't help it. Music was one of the things in my life that helped me somewhat get better.

"Ah well, I was waiting for you to ask that question. My music taste ranges from blink-182, neck deep, a day to remember, we the kings, to Halsey and twenty-one pilots, then plummeting back down to the harmonies of crown the empire and capture the crown. What about you?" He placed his hand onto the metal railings of his bed, he clung loosely to the rail, for some sort of support I was guessing.

"Wow, we have a lot in common. I like pretty much all of those bands, all though I have a great love for green day, the 1975, the neighbourhood, sum 41, good Charlotte, all time low and nirvana. Honestly they make me happy to be somewhat alive." My smile was plastered from ear to ear, music was a large influence in my life, and no one in this world or the next could ever take them away from me.

"You have a good taste in music. I can tell that music makes you really happy, but you don't seem like a really happy person." He scowled slightly at me, as if he was trying to work out every single problem I had in his head like a 5 year old trying to figure out sudoku.

"Well Lucas, no happiness can come out of dying. Music helps me with this bumpy road I'm currently driving through, but without it I'd probably crash into a tree and die." I giggled slightly at my joke, while he beamed at me from the other side of the curtain.

"That was actually quite amusing and relatable. Do you think.. Without this sounding completely weird and out of context... Do you think we could move our beds closer? I don't want that to sound creepy. It's just I'd love to share my earphones with you while listening to some amazing music." He was shaking nervously, and to try and calm him down, I clambered out of my bed. Grabbing my drip, I leant my back onto my bed, while pushing it and dragging my drip.

I pushed the bed enough for it to touch with Luke's, something the nurses would frown upon but I honestly didn't care. I wanted to be as close as possible to this beautiful boy who was lighting up my world, like a lightbulb lit up a moths world. Luke was beginning to effect me in ways I would never of dreamt of.

He was still very nervous when I climbed back into bed, sitting upright with my legs crossed facing him. He mirrored me while plugging his earphones into his phone, passing me an earphone as he put one in himself.

He hit the play button on his phone, I felt as if I was being transported to a world of meaning as the sounds of neck deep poured into my ears. Their song "over and over" always had a weird effect on me, one that I had always loved. Luke seemed to understand too as he placed his hand on top of mine, receiving a flinch from me.

I hadn't had anyone touch me other than the nurses who constantly checked on the wires that attached themselves onto my small body.

"I.. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that.. I just have a thing for hands, and.. Oh god this is making me sound really creepy. Your hands are lovely and I would really like to hold them." He grimaced while hanging his head in shame as he had just admitted to me his fetish.

Instead of making him feel shame, I wanted to make him feel happy. So as I placed my hand into his, I watched his face meet mine and smile so deeply that his dimple appeared, the same dimple that I traced with my finger on my other hand.

He seemed to lean into my touch, almost as if he was enjoying it. I carried on further down his face, tracing his jawline, then the outline of his collarbones that was extremely prominent. He gasped as I touched them, emitting a slight moan.

His face flushed red as I slowly moved away from him. "I..I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself." I began to blush too, so instead of being awkward about it, I simply climbed into his bed. Still holding his hand and listening to the melodic voice of ed Sheeran, I lay next to Luke, my previous words ringing in my head. "No happiness can come out of dying." Maybe, just maybe I was wrong.

OH MY GOD MY HANDS AND ARMS ARE HURTING FROM SO MUCH WRITING.

I'm so sorry I disappeared for like a month and a half, I can't even apologise because I have no reason for leaving, I sorta just did.. Oops. But I should stay and write stories because my ideas have slowly returned and I'm ever so grateful because I needed to update asap. Also, I'd like to point out that this book was intentionally to raise awareness of cancer and its effects. It is NOT to mock cancer in anyway. Yes Naomi and Luke make jokes about it, but that's the point of it. Naomi sorta wants to die and Luke's the happiness that makes her want to be alive, if ya feel.

But next update will be soon I swear. This story might not be that long??? Like??? I don't know, I'm not good at updating but I'll try. I feel like my vocabulary has somewhat expanded and I'm extremely grateful for that. I feel like I sound like Shakespeare or something, is that normal??? I don't know??? Anyway, let me know what you think of this book because I feel like many people aren't gonna read it because it's upsetting. Idk, let me know? Ty ty, and good night/ good morning wherever you are!
Love, Soph xx