Chapter 2 - Welcome to Motherhood

The sun peeks through the peach curtains landing on my face and waking me from my peaceful slumber, I wish! Instead a deafening cry startled out of my sleep, resulting in me falling off my bed and onto the floor with a loud; THUD! I shriek when I look on my bed and find a baby lying there, crying, well more like screaming its little heart out. Then almost like a slideshow on fast forward all of what happened last night comes back to me. "I thought you were a dream" I murmur to myself. 

After I picked him up and settled him down, I go into the kitchen and make him a bottle recalling how Summer did it. I did a little happy dance in my head when I got it right this time taking a few pillows I go back upstairs, lay him on my bed and give him a red dummy I found in one of the bags after his feed. Cleaned, dressed and ready to start my day, I take Gabriel with me and head back down to make myself some breakfast.

Holding Gabriel tightly in my left arm, I start to eat. Looking down at Gabriel I see him gazing up at me with sparkling light blue eyes that shone with confusion. Chubby pink tinged cheeks and rosy lips looked like it was almost in, what looked like a pout. I smile down at him and in return he grabs my thumb and holds onto it tightly. I take this as his own smile or greeting since he can't do any of that yet and kiss his forehead lightly.

Walking towards the door, grabbing the keys Summer left last night. Suddenly I remember that I have to see the social worker Cindy, who contacted me the night before after reading the police and ambulance report. Seeing a few letters lying underneath the door I bend down to and pick them up. Flipping through them I come across a postcard from my parents who are currently on a cruise visiting the Caribbean islands.

612 Maple Lane

California

13c 25A

Hi sweetie we are having so much fun! Although after visiting Jamaica your dad won't stop saying 'Yeh man' and 'Wah gwaan' anytime he meets an islander, very irritating I tell ya. I miss you so much honey, oh and your father says "Hello" too. We'll be home in a week's time can't wait to see ya.

P.s tell your sister to pick up her phone when I call.

Ciao

Love Mum x

Getting in an even better mood, due to my mother's post card I open the front door and walk out into the late morning sun. Closing the door behind me and locking it, I walk across the street to Mrs Morrison's house. Shrugging Gabriel higher in my arm I knock on the Crimson red painted door and wait patiently for her to open it. However when the front door opens I'm not greeted by Mrs Morrison but instead by her four year old daughter Sophia.

"Hi miss Cassie" she says in the cutest voice, her big blue eyes staring innocently into my own chestnut ones.

"Hey sweetie, where is your mama?" I ask her while smiling brightly down at her. She opens the door wider to let me in. Slipping through the door I close it behind me. Unexpectedly Gabriel starts crying, this instantly grabs Sophia's attention.

"Oh you have a baby, I have one too." She says happily then runs upstairs. Soon after Sophia had left Lucy Morrison walked into the hallway where I was currently standing. Her fiery red hair falling into small curls around her shoulders and rose-tinted lips greeted me with a smile.

"Hello dear" Mrs Morrison replied. Only in her early thirties but she looked as though she was in her late twenties. "Hi Mrs Morrison" I respond with a genuine smile.

"Oh I want none of that how many times have I told you call me Lucy, alright" she cries gleefully while guiding me into her living room and asks me to have a seat, which I do gladly. I always admired her home it was always warm and welcoming, with family photos scattered on the lilac walls. Gabriel sneezes making his presence known to Mrs Morrison - I mean Lucy. I'm instantly attacked by a now gushing Lucy. "I didn't know you were pregnant or did you adopt him maybe." she questions me unsurely.

I didn't have time to reply because Sophia chose that exact moment to come bounding in holding a plastic baby doll. "What you got there sweetie" I ask Sophia while bending down to her level. I look over at Lucy who gives me a 'this isn't over look' and walks into the kitchen. "This is my baby" Sophia exclaims excitedly, bringing my attention back to her. "She's gorgeous, what's her name?" I ask. "Lulu" she responds proudly. "Beautiful name, honey" I say while running my hand through her strawberry blonde hair. She giggles happily and turns bright green eyes to me. "What's your baby called?" she asks while looking down at now quite and observing Gabriel. She picks up his hand and she looks up at me waiting for a response.

"Its Gabriel" I whisper while looking down at him with the same expression she had on her face; awe.

Sophia smiled brightly and bends down and places a big sloppy kiss on Gabriel's forehead. Gabriel blinks at her a few times before he starts to get restless and wiggles his little body about. Not wanting to get too much behind schedule I stand up straight and head in the direction of the kitchen in search of Lucy. Entering the kitchen I see Lucy taking out some baked goods out of the oven. "Lucy" I call out to her while gently swaying Gabriel. "Oh yes hun" she answers. "I actually came over here to ask you a favour" I ask warily. "Oh sure anything" she replies. "Do you mind if I borrow a car seat for Gabriel I'm going to the mall to buy him some stuff" I ask.

"Of course not, I think Sophia's old one is in the garage" she hastily replies and rushes out of the kitchen before I can tell her how grateful I am. She comes back 2 minutes later with a black baby car seat and hands it to me. "You know what you can keep that if you like, Sophia is my last one" she says happily.

I snort at her comment. You see Lucy has five children. I don't know how she does it and still manages to keep that curvy figure, that most woman would die for. There's 14 year old Jake, 11 year old Emily, the twins Harry and Henry who are 8 and last but not least little Sophia the baby of the family who is 4.

"Oh hush it" Lucy says gleefully "but I suppose you right I doubt Sophia will be my last" she adds with a content sigh.

Putting Gabriel in the seat with the help of Lucy we walk back to Summer's car, which is parked in my drive way and once again with Lucy's guidance manage to fix the seat into the car. As I am about to get into the car I am stopped by Lucy who does the most unexpected thing, throws her arms around me. "Don't be a stranger now and pop around anytime you like for dinner, a cup of tea or just a friendly chat" she says while embracing me. Touched deeply by her kindness a lump grows in my throat and tears spring to my eyes.  

Blinking back the tears and clearing my throat I manage to choke out a "yes sure and thanks for everything." Letting go of each other I climb into the car and turn to check on Gabriel who happily gurgles in the back seat. I waved goodbye to Lucy and started the car.

A/N: Hey guys, this my first story on wattpad so please comment and tell me what you think so far. Thanks.