The meeting

Want to know how I found love? Believe me, I didn't think it was going to happen. I was sitting by myself at a high school tennis tournament. My team was sitting a little ways from me, but I didn't really talk to them. I was watching one of the girls I did talk to play against a girl from another school. She was doing really well, but I didn't want to cheer for her and then she mess up, so I kept quiet. I was rather tired from all the sets I had played, only to lose in the end, but it was still fun. The wind was starting to pick up a little, so I placed my racket on my lap to prevent my dress from flying up. As I was watching, I didn't notice a boy had come and sat next to me.

"Why are you sitting alone?" asked the mysterious voice. I whipped my head around and noticed him. He was a black hedgehog with red eyes that burned in determination. Determination for what? I didn't know. He was dressed in the same uniform from my school, but I had never seen him before. Maybe he came with one of the other coaches, which is why I've never seen him. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

"I don't know. I kind of just am." I answered him as politely as possible and looked away. I didn't want to seem rude, maybe we could be friends! He shifted in his spot to get in a more comfortable position. So he was going to stay and talk to me?

"Well little Ms. Anti-Social, what's your name?" I cringed at the nickname he gave me, but answered him anyway.

"It's Amy. What's yours?" I asked him, glad that I was actually having a conversation with someone. I don't really like talking to people I don't know, but why not change that?

"I'm Shadow." He responded. I nodded my head. Well, so much for having a conversation. A few moments passed and I couldn't think of anything to say. Then he started talking again.

"So tell me about yourself." He said without looking at me. I looked back at him. I forgot everything about myself and didn't say anything. He noticed that I was quiet, and thought of questions to ask me.

"So why are you always by yourself? Every time I see you, you're always alone." He asked me. Oh. So he has noticed me. I'm a horrible person. I felt my face grow red and I once again looked away.

"Well, I'm not very good at talking to people. Besides, I daydream a lot." I responded. I mentally, and almost physically, slapped myself. That last part was not necessary. He just lightly laughed and continued talking to me. He asked about my age, and was even surprised when I told him I was younger than he thought. He was two years older than me, he was seventeen and was going to graduate real soon. I was barely a fifteen year old freshman. At one point he even asked about my temper, which I found a little odd, but I told him I was usually compared to the Incredible Hulk. He just laughed again and told me I was funny, even though I wasn't trying to.

"So, what are your hobbies?" he asked me. I thought about it for a second before I told him it was reading. He gave me a funny look to which I gave him a confused one.

"Seriously? Don't you go party or something?" he asked, and amused smirk spread across his tanned face. I understood why he gave me that face. He didn't read. At least not as much as me.

"Yes seriously, I'm a bookworm. I do go to parties, but I'm that one kid who sits at a party and reads the whole time." I responded, my face giving off no hint that I was lying. He gave a short little laugh and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Then what kinds of books do you read?" he asked me. I thought about it, but I knew the answer long before he even asked. "Horror." I responded, thinking back to my favorite series Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan. Shadow looked a little shocked at this, but I wasn't surprised. Others usually thought I was the kind of girl who read sappy romance and listened to love songs all day. Well, I did enjoy reading romance, but it wasn't my favorite genre. Shadow quickly got over his shock and looked me straight in the eye.

"You? You like horror? You don't get scared?" he asked me in disbelief. Shadow was asking a lot of questions. I nodded my head and hummed a yes. Shadow's expression changed a bit, but he didn't wear it for more than a second.

"Wow. I didn't think you were that type of girl. That's cool that you like it." He said to me, making me surprised to hear that. I smiled nicely at him, happy that he didn't think I was lying like other people do.

"So you like to read at parties?" he jokingly asked, so I answered the same way.

"Yup. And when I'm feeling fancy, I'll read the classics."

"The classics?" Shadow asked, laughing hard, "What are the classics?"

"Oh you know, Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, and so many more."

Shadow only laughed more, which made me laugh a little as well. Talking to Shadow became a little easier the more he was willing to stay and talk. Maybe we could actually be friends.

"Amy, you're too funny!" He laughed.

"I was being serious." I informed him. He only laughed harder and told me that he knew I was being serious. We talked a little more before my friend finished her set- and won. She was one of the last ones to play so we packed up and thanked the hosting coaches for having us before leaving. We got on the bus and I sat in my favorite seat, seat number seven because it was on the tire, so it would bounce me up and down as we drove back to school. There were plenty of seats for everyone to sit at since there was not a lot of us, so I decided to lay down. I put in my earbuds and turned on my music from my IPod.

"Hey, move over." A voice called out to me. I took out one earbud and looked to see who was talking to me. I quickly sat down right as I saw Shadow and moved my things so he could sit next to me. I was honestly kind of disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to take a nap, but I guess I could wait to go to sleep when I got home. Shadow settled himself in and the bus started to head towards our own school where our parents will be waiting for us. Shadow had nothing to say, so I kept one earbud in and continued to listen to Three Days Grace in a lower volume just in case he decided to speak up.

I saw that he was looking at me from the corner of my eye, but I didn't look at him. I began to feel nervous until he finally said something.

"Who are you listening to?" the simple question calmed my nerves, even though I had no idea why I was nervous. I told him and he got really happy. He started telling me how he loves the band and about his experience at one of their concerts. I quietly listened to his story, fascinated by the things I would not imagine would happen at concerts. He also told me about some other concerts he went to for bands I had never even heard of. The conversation lasted until we made it to school. When the bus parked in the school's parking lot, we had to sit and wait for the others behind us to get out so we can get up and get out ourselves. We exited the bus and I saw my mom waiting for me in the little blue car she drove. I turned to Shadow, who was still next to me, and told him goodbye. He said bye to me as well, and I turned to walk to my car. I thought about my day with Shadow the entire ride home, even though I was telling my mother about my match. I couldn't understand why he would talk to me when clearly he had others friends. Eventually, I just gave up and left it alone since I was tired. Little did I know, that it wasn't the last time he would try to communicate with me.