Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Charlotte

It was the weirdest feeling when the doctor took the breathing tube out of my throat.  I gagged a few times.  But when it was out, I was able to take a big breath, one that I obviously hadn’t been able to take on my own for a while by the scratchiness in my throat. 

When they got it out, they adjusted the bed so that I was sitting up.  I saw the cast on my right wrist and leg.  That was basically the only thing that I could see wrong with me. 

Once the doctors and nurses made sure I was settled, the stood back and smiled at me. 

“Well, we’ll come and check on you in a little while.  We’ll call your parents and let them know you’re awake,” one of the doctors said. 

I tried to talk but my mouth was so dry. 

“I’ll get you some water,” one nurse said. 

The four of them left the room with them, leaving me with two guys who looked like they wanted to tackle me in a hug.  Both Ian and Freddie were standing at the foot of my bed, just staring at me.  I cleared my throat and swallowed a few times.

“Hi,” I croaked.  God, did my voice really sound that bad?

Both of them smiled and Freddie was about to speak when the nurse walked in with a paper cup. 

“Here you go, darling,” she said.  “This should help.”

“Thanks,” I said.  God, I sounded like I smoked ten packs of cigarettes a day!

She left after giving me the cup and a smile.  I drank the water greedily.  When was the last time I actually drank something?

“That was so good,” I said, my voice sounding more like normal. 

That was when Freddie rushed to the side of my bed and wrapped me in a hug.  My arms were stiff as I wrapped them around him but I didn’t mind.  Apparently my body needed to get used to movement again.

“Well, hello to you, too,” I said, laughing. 

“Shut up, Charlotte,” he said, laughing, as he kissed the top of my head.  “Don’t you ever scare us like that again!  Do you hear me?”

I laughed and pulled away, kissing his cheek.  “I won’t,” I said.

He sighed and stood up.  “I’m going to go wait for Mum and Todd.  Once they hear you’re awake they’re going to want to come here as soon as possible.”

I smiled at him as he walked out the door. 

I looked back at Ian then, who was still standing at the foot of my bed.  He couldn’t seem to take his eyes off me.  I didn’t mind those beautiful green eyes staring into mine, though. 

“So are you not going to give me a hello kiss?” I asked, cocking my head to the side and smiling at him. 

I saw him swallow hard as he walked toward me and sat down on the side of of my bed.  He didn’t make a move toward me, though, just stared at my face. 

“Ian,” I said. 

He closed his eyes and just sat there. 

“Are you not going to say anything to me?” I asked. 

He smiled, his eyes still closed.  And when he opened them, they were shinning with such happiness that I thought I was going to explode. 

“Hi,” he said, smiling.