Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Charlotte

I was out of the light and floating back to somewhere I didn’t recognize.  But then again, I didn’t remember anything to be able to recognize. 

I was in a classroom then.  And by the looks of it, it was a kindergarten classroom. 

I felt little, like a child, and I was holding the hand of a beautiful blond woman, who was smiling down at me.

“Now, Charlotte,” she said, and I instantly recognized her as my mother.  “I’ll be back at three o’clock to pick you up.”

“Promise?” I said in a small voice. 

She smiled and knelt down so she was eye level with me.  “I promise,” she said.  “And we’ll go out for ice cream after I do.  How does that sound?”

I smiled and hugged her around her neck. 

“Yay!” I squealed, and she laughed. 

“Well, look who it is,” Mom said, turning back to the door of the classroom. 

“Who?” I asked, looking where she was. 

I saw a woman with dark hair walk in with a little boy clutching to her hand and hiding behind her legs.  The woman smiled as she came toward us. 

“Look, you do know someone in your class, sweetie,” the woman said.  When I looked up at her face, I still didn’t know who she was. 

“You remember Michelle and her little boy, Ian,” Mom said, standing up.  “We were just together a few weeks ago.”

“I think I do, Mommy,” I said. 

“Sweetie, look who it is,” the woman – Michelle – said. 

The little boy peeked out from behind her legs and smiled shyly at me.  He had dark, spiked up hair and bright green eyes. 

Wait, I recognized those eyes from somewhere…

Ian.  I remembered Ian.

“Hi, Charlie,” he said quietly. 

“My name’s Charlotte,” I said. 

“Yeah, I know,” he said, walking around his mother’s legs and stopping in front of me.  “But I want to call you Charlie. No one else can except for me, okay?”

“Okay!” I said, and grabbed his hand.  “Let’s go color!”

Once we got our blank sheets of paper and crayons, I looked up to see both of our moms waving as they walked out the door. 

“You know what?” he asked as he picked up a blue crayon.

“What?” I asked, picking up a yellow and drawing a big circle that was going to be the sun. 

“You’re beautiful,” he said. 

My eyebrows scrunched together.  “What does that mean?” I asked him.

He shrugged, drawing squiggles on his paper.  “I don’t know.  I just heard my daddy call my mommy it this morning,” he explained.  “So if he said it to her, it’s got to mean something good, right?”

I smiled.  “I guess,” I said.  “Hey, Ian?”

“Yeah?” he said, looking at me. 

“You want to be my best friend?” I asked. 

He grinned.  “Sure!”

Okay, how cute was that?!?

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1