Why does it have to be me? - These Words short chapter 9

Zephyr walked across the hall, almost smiling. She is just excited when it comes to Math. I mean, doing something that you love does quite make you excitable, right? Clutching her Algebra book, she entered the room. Her supposed – to – be – smile became a large frown. Oh, great, she thought. Crazy guy’s here. She sat on the front row, as usual. And Victor sat behind her. He looks like he’s gonna need a long sleep, or at least a nap. Huh, forget about the crazy guy, she thought. How about a Zombie? Yeah, it suits him best. Mr. Greer walked in the room. Zephyr smiled and took out her book. “Ah, I guess Ms. Coleman here has an answer for the first problem,” he started. “Let’s hear it.” “Well, my answer on the first problem might be forty – two.” Mr. Greer smiled warmly at her. “Good job, Ms. Coleman. How about problem two? ” No answer. “How about...” and his eyes glanced around the room. “Mr. McCann?” Zephyr turned around. This might be interesting, she thought. “Well, uh...” he started scratching his neck. “Uh... I, uh...” Mr. Greer’s smile turned into a large frown. “Well, I suppose you haven’t answered any of the problems... again.” “ I answered one of them, but...” “But?” And the bell rang. “Mr. McCann, for a while please.” Mr. Greer said, making a wild gesture to get him to talk after class. Maybe, I’ll stay here for a while, Zephyr thought. “Ms. Coleman, this could be a little private.” Zephyr pretended to be rummaging through her backpack. “Oh, Mr. Greer, just a while please.” Zephyr smiled innocently back at his glare. “As I was saying,” he turned back at Victor. “This is the third failing grade you’ve got in my class. Have another failing grade and you’re out of the team! I know you just got in but still, do your best, ok?” “But, Mr. Greer, even if you discussed it that way, I just can’t understand whatever you were saying.” Victor admitted. “Why won’t you get it? It’s just so simple!” Zephyr muttered silently. Or at least she thought she was silent. “Well, if you think so Ms. Coleman, why won’t you try to tutor Mr. McCann here?” Zephyr saw Victor’s eyes pop and nervously shook his head. “Mr. Greer, I don’t think I can. You don’t and won’t understand.” She said nervously. She even chuckled gently to cover the nervousness. “Ah, Ms. Coleman, how about I would prefer this as extra credit. You’ve been asking me since last week, am I right? So please, help him and I’ll pull your grades up. Deal?” I just can’t say no to that offer. “Well, Mr. Greer, you got yourself a deal.” She said with a smile. A nervous smile.

And that’s how Zephyr Jane Clarisse Coleman began to tutor Victor Allen Thomas McCann.