Victor McCann and Zephyr Coleman - These Words short chapter 4

“ Hi. Nice sitting with you. I’m Victor Allen Thomas McCann. You can call me Victor or Brian, suit yourself. What’s yours? ” Victor said with a huge grin on his face.  Was there something funny or this guy is totally crazy?  Zephyr thought. Hmm. No time to lose. I have to say something back.      

“ Uhh... Hello? Nice sitting with you too... I’m Zephyr Jane Clarisse Coleman. You can call me Zephyr or Jane, but definitely not Clarisse, for it makes me sound old, and maybe I’ll call you Victor. Is that it?” Zephyr replied. Keep smiling, Victor thought. It works all the time. And he began to ask again.

“ Yep, that’s it. Tell me about yourself.” Victor said with the grin still plastered in his face. Okay, that obviously crossed the line, Zephyr thought, gritting her teeth. That guy is crazy. Time to face the music.

“ No, no and no, not happening. You’re a complete stranger to me anyway.  Maybe some other time .” Oh no, plan backfired, abort mission, abort mission. Victor thought, as his grin turned into a nervous, small smile. Keep it cool. Oh no, I’m sweating , I’m sweating.

“ Can you at least tell me what grade are you in? ” Victor asked in a cool voice. Oh, that’s a safe question, Zephyr thought, biting her lip. And the cartoon grin was gone.

“ First year today, I hope.” She replied, not doubting what he’ll say next.

“ Oh, me too. I just moved here.” Victor blurted out.

“ Sadly , I get you.” Zephyr said unhappily.

“ Really?” Victor exclaimed.

“ No. Then yes, then no again. Now, please, shut it. We’re almost there.” Zephyr snapped. She can’t be late on her first day and have him as an a excuse.

“ Sure.” Victor’s small smile turned into a grin again.

“ Okay, we’re here. Now please, get out in 10 minutes. And remember, don’t make me wait because I don’t wait for anyone.” Mr. Huggins yelled as the tires screeched on the school parking lot.

“ Great , I’m outta here.” Zephyr said with a huge sigh of relief.

This day might not be so bad. This would be fun, She thought.