Chapter Twenty-Two

Colton's POV

"Colton... I-I... can't." As soon as she said that I dropped my hands and turned away from her, "What do you mean you can't?" She looked at me tears starting to form in her eyes me, "I-I mean I-I just can't, I still have a year of school, I can't leave my parents or Maggie, I just can't." I shook my head, "And what about me?" She was about to speak when I cut her off, "No, Brielle you have enough credits to graduate early, your parents will be fine and Maggie will always be your best friend... but what about me? If you don't come, what about us?" She angrily wiped the tears from her eyes, "You're asking me to give me up my life for you! I can't just drop everything and come to California with you!" I hated seeing her cry, but I was pissed.

I started to walk away turning around one more time when she called my name her voice breaking, "Just w-wait! Pl-please!" I walked towards her again, "Why Brielle?!? You made up your mind, you don't wanna be in this relationship anymore so why should I wait?!?" I saw her flinch when I yelled at her, I softened my voice a little, "Just tell me w-why, I can't loose you Brielle. I have to protect you." The whole nightmare of my dad still has me freaked out I don't know where he is and that's what scares me the most, "P-protect me from what?" I stared at her big teary eyes looking up at me, I sighed before wrapping my arms around her pulling her close to me, "Brielle..." I ran my hand over my face, "Look, I want to, I need to protect you. I had a nightmare last night, m-my dad kidnapped y-you and he-he..." I trailed off not wanting to repeat it, "I just need to protect you from him. I love you and I, I don't want to loose you." She sighed before taking my hand and leading me over to he bench, I heard her mumble something before she looked up at me, "What?" she looked at me again with a big smile, "What do I have to do before we leave?" I smiled widely, "Seriously?!?" She nodded while I picked her up spinning her around, "Okay Colton calm down!" She told me while laughing. I put her down and kissed her, "I love you," "I love you too."

We headed back inside to find Zack and Maggie in a pretty serious conversation, I looked towards Brielle with my eyebrows raised, she just shrugged while I turned her toward me carefully wiping her watery eyes which made her give me a small sweet smile. "Hey guys what's up?" Brielle spoke as we came to our table. Zack and Maggie's eyes darted up towards us while Maggie wiped some tears away, "You okay Mags?" Brielle asked her she shook her head before smiling, "Yeah it's just that Zack had some news to tell me." I raised my eyebrow toward Zack, "You told her?" Maggie and Brielle's mouth dropped open, "You knew?" "What's going on Colton?" I smiled nodding toward Zack, "He is taking a year off college to travel the world. Maggie is gonna graduate early to and go with him."

"That's amazing!" I wrapped my arms around Brielle and pulled her closer to me. Brielle then got a text and furrowed her eyebrows, "I-I'll be r-right back." She gave me a kiss on the cheek before heading outside. She came back a few minutes later with red puffy eyes I automatically ran to her touching her cheek she flinched when my hand grazed her, "Brielle, are you okay?" she shook her head, "Can we get out of here?" I nodded and grabbed her hand which she gently puled away causing me to be confused.

We made our way upstairs checking to see if her parents were back yet, which they weren't. I pulled off my tux and got into bed waiting on Brielle to come out of the bathroom. I put my arm over my eyes shielding the light, I heard the door open to see Brielle come in wearing one of my shirts, my favorite shirt. She made her way over the bed turning out light while turning her back against me, "You know your wearing my favorite shirt right?" I mumbled as I moved closer wrapping my arms around her, again she tensed "I can take it off if you want" she whispered quietly, as I chuckled, "That's okay Cherry Pie I like it better while your wearing it anyway." She moved out of my grip standing up, "No it's fine really, I'll wear one of mine." What was going on with her?