Chapter 15: Disappear...

Denise's POV again! sorry for the very late update xx

****

Surprisingly, I hadn’t spoken to Hunter in the last week, or his girlfriend also. I know it seems like I cared, but I really didn’t. They were people I came into contact with every day, Hunter to rile me up and Darla to tell me how worthless she thought I was, so I noticed. Of course I did. Their absence from my life was quite refreshing I think, and I was in a better mood than I usually was, which did not go unnoticed by my best friends.

“Wow,” Jazz commented, “You’re in a good mood.”

“It’s kind of unnerving, in my opinion.” Angela said this with a piece of burger in her mouth, so there were some small pieces flying out of her mouth as she spoke. “But altogether good.” She nodded to herself.

“So…” Jazz began. “I heard some more about the new boy,” he voice all high and girly…eww. “He’ll be here tomorrow!”

Angela squealed in delight and I rolled my eyes. This again. It had happened before Hunter had come and look where that ended. I just couldn’t see the excitement about guys. They were dirty, smelly, messy and arrogant and obnoxious. Everything I didn’t like. Everything that was Hunter. Okay…except for the dirtiness and smelliness. He smelled good…

I screamed. Only a few seconds later, when everyone looked at me in surprise did I notice that I had screamed out loud. Oops…

“I’m not that bad looking, am I?” there was a voice behind me. I turned to see a boy with messy brown hair and ark green eyes, clad in a varsity jacket, jeans, and basketball trainers. Dustin Chambers…Hunter’s best friend. The embarrassment made my cheeks warm, but in defence I snapped at him, “What do you want, Chambers.”

“Ooh, feisty, I like it.” He grinned.

I only glared. Openly.

“Get to the point or would you like to watch me eat as if you’re at the cinema?” I was really embarrassed as you can tell. Snippiness was my only defence.

Dustin’s face became sober. “The Coach wants to see you in the courts. Now.”

“What?”

“Come on,” he urged.

I packed up my packed lunch, as he started to walk away, jogging to catch up, only throwing a “Bye” over my shoulder in my friends’ direction.

“Why are we going?” I asked, but Dustin remained silent. I growled.

After about a minute of him striding, and me jogging, we reached the basketball courts where the team were doing drills. Topless.

Would anyone like to pick my jaw off the ground…?

The boys turned at my entry, and they whooped, finding it funny that there was a girl in the courts, when no other people were allowed in the courts for the past week up until the game, tomorrow.

I ogled shamelessly, until someone called out, “Like what you see, Denise?”

I groaned. My eyes snapped from the roaming of their bodies, to the speaker’s face. His blue eyes sparkled. I glared, my signature pose around him. Then I replied, “No, Hunter, just comparing your abs to the rest. And just like I thought, yours,” I paused for effect, “are the least impressive.” I smiled sarcastically.

All the boys sniggered. For a minute I thought Hunter had been told, but nope.

“You’re just afraid to admit that you want some of this.” And he grinned, probably remembering the day in his bedroom. I never want to think about that again. I’m sure my face flashed with emotion, but I tried to control it. “Don’t kid yourself,” I told him. “Remember, it’s you that can’t stay away from me. Please, if I had a choice, you wouldn’t exist in my world.”

Before Hunter could say anything, the Coach appeared in the corner of the courts from where his office was. “Prane, come into my office.”

****

“So,” the Coach barked, “The reason you’re here now is to start your punishment.”

Oh, crap, I had forgotten about that. The Headmaster had told me a day after dishing out my punishment, that I couldn’t start until the coach said because of the basketball season in the school. The sports the biggest thing we have going for the high school. We’ve won more games than any other school in the state, and we weren’t about to lose, as long as our streak stayed high. Unfortunately for me, a big fan of the game, well sort of, Hunter’s captaincy had improved the team’s play by far, and we were the best team.

“I want you,” the Coach continued, “to clean the locker room tonight, and the day after, the night after the game, and then every Friday after that for two more weeks.” His wrinkles showed more in his lean face as he asked “Is that understood?”

“Yes, Coach,” flew out of my mouth quickly in reply, and he let me go

Sometimes I hate being me…

****

By the time I exited his office, the bell had rang, and the boys were gone. It was customary that they went for breaks during the last period as they did nothing but train for the last two weeks before the big game. If we won the game, we would be the champions for another year, and would be paid a large sum of money; none of us knew the exact value, that went into renovation the school, blah, blah, blah…

Attention to detail was not my forte.

I was pretty quiet again in biology in the afternoon, the last period of the day, dreading my evening to come.

“Stop sighing!” Jazz shout-whispered to me when we were allowed to talk quietly. “I’m sorry you have to clean the locker room, but you shouldn’t have punched her.”

“You would have done the same thing,” I turned and said to her.

“No, I wouldn’t,” Jazz replied. “Angela would have probably. Then again, she’s not one to get herself in this kind of trouble.”

And that’s what I’d always wondered. Why hadn’t he picked on Jazz or Angela? In my opinion, they were prettier than me, I’m not one of those girls who think they’re average but are actually beauties, I actually think I’m pretty, just not as them.

But why me? I get why Darla hates me. In her own little mind, her brain is probably the size of a pea, she thinks I stole her boyfriend, but Hunter…I just don’t get it. Maybe I never will.

****

The lesson ended quickly. I had fallen quiet after Jazz’s last comment, and we walked to the car silently, I was going to come back in three hours, when the boys had finished their practice to clean their locker room. I laid my face against the window of the car and sighed, again.

Jazz wanted to make conversation, so she said, “So, what do you think the new boy is going to be like?”

“I have no idea, Jazz,” was my only reply. We were two streets away from my house.

“I hope he’s hot, I bet he will be!” there was so much excitement in her voice but I couldn’t be bothered to join her.

“What is wrong with you?!” she practically screamed. I turned to look at her in surprise. She parked in front of my house. “I always have to listen to you! Hunter did this, Hunter said that. Darla hates me. Whine, whine, whine! I’m sick and tired of it. Get out!”

I scrambled out of her car in shock, not even attempting to say anything in defence. She leaned over the passenger seat to close the door to her car. She didn’t even look at me before she sped away.

And all I could think was, is that goodbye? I don’t want to say goodbye to another person. I don’t want to lose a second person because of my selfishness.

 ****

sorry again for the late update, but please comment and vote and even fan. i will upload a new chapter within 3 days...thats a promise!!!

tolu :)