.:Chapter One:. Lurking in the Shadows

The Doctor and Donna stood in a long corridor of bookcases. They were currently on the biggest Library in the universe. The bookcases towered over them, overfilled with books that looked like they were bound to fall down any minute. There were ladders for people to climb to reach a sort of balcony, that stretched all along the bookcases, eventually leading to a bridge that stretched across from bookcase to bookcase. There were rows of lights lining the ceiling, providing the essential light needed to be able to see.

                Donna looked at The Doctor in confusion.

                "So why did we come here, why did you-"

                "Donna!" The Doctor interrupted her.

                One row of lights at the other end of the corridor had just spontaneously gone out. Slowly but surely, the other rows of lights started going out as well, and the darkness seemed to move towards the Doctor and Donna.

                "What's happening?" Asked Donna, alarmed.

                "Run!" Exclaimed the Doctor, and he broke into a run, Donna running behind him.

                "Hello? Is anyone here?" Called a voice from the dark.

                Rose was standing another row of bookcases down from where the Doctor was. Being in the disoriented state she was in was bad enough for her. The lights kept going out, as they darkness crept up on her, and she felt there was a horrible presence travelling with the darkness, inching closer and closer to her.

                Rose's voice. The Doctor froze in shock, hearing her voice.

                "Rose.." He whispered.

                "Hurry up, Space boy!" yelled Donna.

                "Donna, can you please give me a moment? Try and stay out of the shadows!" Yelled the Doctor.

                His mind was only slightly with Donna, the rest of his mind was focused on Rose.

                "Hello?" Called Rose's voice again.

                She could hear some shuffling, and muffled voices nearby. The Doctor didn't know how this could be possible, but he had to help her. Whatever was lurking in the shadows, was trouble. So, he took his sonic screwdriver out of his jacket pocket, and held the button down, hoping Rose would follow the noise. Using the sonic screwdriver as a homing beacon for Rose.

                When Rose heard the mixture of screeching and humming that she recognized as the sonic screwdriver, her voice croaked when she spoke.

                "D-doctor!?" Rose asked, and he heard her pace quicken.

                He decided that he couldn't stand still any longer, and started running towards the sound of her voice.

                "Rose!" The Doctor yelled.

                He had been staying in his spot, feet seemingly rooted to the ground. However, when his lost companion came into his view, it seemed to turn on a switch in his head, and his feet started running towards her on their own accord.

                "Doctor!" Rose yelled in desperation, tears welling up.

                She was filled with mixed emotions; seeing him again, knowing that he had missed her just as much she missed him, had her filled with joy, but the terrified feeling of the presence chasing them, sent cold shivers down her spine.

                At last, Rose reached him. She didn't waste any time before closing the last few inches between them, by throwing her arms around his neck. The Doctor wrapped his arms around her waist, and held her close for a few seconds, then pulled back, looking at her.

                "How? How!?" He asked in a frantic voice, unable to contain his surprise and curiosity.

                She shrugged, looking at him with those big brown eyes.

                "I don't know! I was at Mum's, I was, and next thing, I was here!" Rose tried to explain, but felt as she didn't do a very good job, as she didn't really understood what happened herself.

                "That's.. That's weird, that is." The Doctor said, and he furrowed his brow.

                He pushed the mystery of finding out how to the back of his mind. He had not taken his eyes of Rose since the moment he saw her, in fear of her disappearing from his sight.

                "I know." She took a deep breath in, and let it out shakily.

                "I'm glad I landed where you are.. Where are we exactly? Who's Donna?"

                "We're at The Library." The Doctor said.

                "The biggest Library in the universe. Donna travels with me; she's my friend."

                "Where are all the people? And why are the lights flickering out?" She asked, as another row of lights flickered out at the end of the corridor.

                The Doctor quickly moved himself and Rose out of the shadows.

                "I don't know where the people have gone. As for the lights.." He looked behind Rose, to make sure she only had one shadow.

                She did.

                "They're creatures, called the Vashta Nerada. They're kind of like piranhas of the dark. They don't usually exist in swarms, but they do here. The Vashta Nerada have no weaknesses; all you can do is run from them, and stay out of the shadows." Rose swallowed a lump in her throat, and shied into his side, cursing her luck to be joined with him at this moment with these aliens.

                "Do you have a plan?" She asked.

                "No, I've barely arrived." Said the Doctor.

                Another row of lights went out, leaving them with hardly any light left. He looked at Rose.

                "Come with me!" The Doctor grasped Rose's hand, and began to run to where he knew Donna was.

                After just one step he felt Rose's hand disappear as soon as they started running.