Chapter 15 - questions

• Dedicated to Dexter for being the best dog a girl can have, because of you I survived school

This chapter is in memory of my dog Dexter who died of cancer today rest in peace my furry friend <3

~~~

The bell rang signalling school ending, everyone got up and moved their work to the edge of the room so it could dry without being damaged. Most people put their pencils and pastels away but barely anyone put the paint back. I put my paint away and rinsed out the pallet and pot of water. The room was empty apart from me and her now.

“Freddi why did you shift early?” she turned to me while cleaning paint off a table.

“Who are you? What are you? And how do you know my name and that I shifted early?” I bombarded her with questions narrowing my eyes slightly. She grinned at me and sighed.

“Oops I must’ve forgotten to introduce myself to you all. I’m Mrs Reef I’m a shifter. Most shifters have already heard about you Freddi, you are the big mystery, nobody knows you but they do know about you.” She smiled like she knew more, but I shrugged it off.

“So why did you shift early?” she persisted. I sighed quietly.

“My best friend disappeared and I was all along for a few months and then he crept up on me in the woods at night and grabbed my shoulder. He scared me half to death and then I shifted and he was just smiling at me all smug like ‘ha I just made you shift early.’”

“So your friend is a smug pain in the butt then?”

“Yup that’s Luther except he’s funny and annoying too.” She looked up from cleaning paint.

“Do you know how you’re going to track down your family?”

“Not exactly I was hoping they would come forward, so maybe they don’t want me...” I trailed off looking at my shoes that had come increasingly interesting. Mrs Reef wrapped an arm around my shoulders to comfort me.

“No don’t think like that, don’t ever think like that. They might not be able to come forward maybe you should track them down.” she suggested.

“I can’t I don’t know where to start.” I muttered.

“Hmm well I know someone who might be able to help he’s a vampire quite an old one he should be able to help his name is Phoenix he is a vampire prince.”

“Phoenix? You mean the guy who keeps running into me?”

“Yup nothings changed there, he was supposed to be in this class actually; I wonder where he went.” she frowned slightly.

“Mrs Reef is it possible to have three mates?” I already knew the answer I wanted to see if she could tell me about it without giving away that I had three.

“Yes of course it is but only someone with royal blood can have three and the three mates would all be of some importance like another royal or someone gifted or someone of high importance.” She recited like she was reading it from a textbook.

“Which kingdom are you” I stopped halfway through my question as my leg buckled underneath me and I landed on the floor with a thud. I looked up ignoring the pain, when I noticed Mrs Reef was in pain on the floor too. I gasped as it felt like something hit my stomach then my back. Mrs Reef looked like she was having the same problem. In between gasps of pain she spoke

“Our mates.” Those two words cleared it up Jesse was in trouble and so was Mrs Reef’s mate.

I sprang to my feet and shifted as I jumped out the open window. I had no idea where Jesse was but my feet just moved for me. I was already under the cover of the trees because the forest covers the edge of our school. I skidded to a halt as I came to a clearing. In the clearing I could see Phoenix and Jesse fighting.

Every time one of them struck a blow to the other I could feel it. I let out a feral growl that seemed to echo through the clearing they both snapped their heads around and stared at me. But of course I couldn’t change back to yell at them or I would be naked so I stood in between them looking from one to the other.

‘Would you guys stop fighting? Why are you both fighting anyway it just seems stupid! All you’re doing is injuring each other and putting me and Mrs Reef through your pain!’ They both winced as I yelled into their heads.

Phoenix looked up quickly

“Mrs Reef?” he questioned.

‘Yes our substitute art teacher you’d know if you were there’ I replied.

“What does she look like?” he leaned over looking me dead in the eyes.

‘Erm small blonde, grey eyes with flecks of yellow wait shouldn’t you know what your mate looks like?’ he ignored my question and got up with a huge smile on his face.

“I have to leave, my one and only is waiting for Me.” with that he got up and dashed off into the forest towards the school with love in his eyes.

It hurt so much like something was ripping me to the pieces from the inside I fell to the floor gasping in pain. Jesse came over to me in his wolf form and nuzzled me. I whimpered at his touch and he stepped back whining. He sat next to me and threw his head back howling.

I could feel everything around me everything was clear, I jumped to my feet and ran to school just as some wolves entered the clearing.

I ran and jumped in the window I had come out of which was pretty high up. I scanned the room and noticed my clothes in a ripped pile by the window and my bag was still by my easel I had to speak to Phoenix about a lot of things. I walked around to the desk and laid eyes on a painting it was very similar to mine it had the same cliff and lake from the same angle and like mine it was all in red paint. There are two silhouettes in the picture, a cheetah drinking from the lake his white silhouette had red spots and in the sky was the silhouette of a white bird. Besides the picture was a note.

Dear Freddi,

I am sorry we didn’t finish our chat. Thank you for splitting them up and I am very sorry if Phoenix has done something bad. This picture was made by your mum it appears you are quite similar in more ways than one. In case you don’t have spare clothes in your locker, I left a white summer dress under the creaky floor board. It’s been there for years now. I used to go to this school; I practically lived in this art room. Don’t give up on finding your family.

~~~

VOTE-if you liked it

COMMENT -tell me why you like it or why you don't

 The slideshow at the side is my dog Dexter and Freddi's mums painting -again poor photoshopping from me