Almost Heaven

Twenty five

I open my eyes to see brilliant colors, shades of red and hues of gold.

The meadow is stunningly beautiful, but I cannot stand up. I keep trying to drag my limbs up from the ground. After what feels like an eternity, I give up, laying on the bed of fallen leaves. I close my eyes, sighing and trying to relax until I hear a rustling, and I look up to see my father. He walks over and sits right beside me, a smile lighting up his face.

"Hey, daddy." I say happily, letting a smile appear on my face. I can feel his hand on my shoulder, and I shiver. He's warmer then I am. I sigh, sitting up and leaning into him so that he wraps his arm around my shoulder almost protectively. I sigh dreamily and shut my eyes.

"Hey, sweety." he replies quietly. My mind feels numb....all of this horrible pain and suffering leading up to this, and it is all worth it because here I am with my father. Suddenly my eyes snap wide open, and I become more alert.

I stare out across the golden fields, analyzing the flowing river and beautiful animals splashed across the canvas of hills that stand ahead of me. I swallow thickly, my expression becoming less peaceful.

"Daddy?...am I dead?" I ask calmly, suddenly feeling uncomfortable in my surroundings. As if I am just plaguing the wonderful nature scene that I happen to be a part of. I feel out of place here...in...heaven I guess.

I feel him chuckling before I hear it.

"Of course you're not, Scarlett." he says, shaking his head. "I thought I raised you better then that. When have you ever given up that easily?" he asked, and I shrugged, still scanning the terrain.

"Just feels like heaven, I guess." I say softly, closing my heavy eyelids, allowing his voice to comfort me.

"There are still so many things that you need to go out and learn how to do." he added, and I peer up at him curiously and pull away.

"What do you mean!?" I demand, my eyes narrowing. I just got him back...he can't leave me yet.

"I love you, my beautiful, beautiful girl." he says fondly, dipping down to kiss my forehead before standing up. I frown, trying to stand, but my body still won't cooperate.

"Wait! What do you mean!" I yell after him desperately, squeezing my eyes shut while he laughs and shakes his head.

"You'll see, just trust me." he calls over his shoulder before disappearing over the rolling yellow hills. I sigh, shutting my eyes and forcing the sadness away while I willed sleep to take me away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up in the hospital wing, laying down on the uncomfortable bed. I look around confused, my eyes stinging, not used to the harsh light. I am laying there alone.

I think back, trying to remember how I've gotten here, but all that shows up in my head is Draco's expression while he runs away, the horrible memories that had tormented me, and my daddy's voice. I stare blankly at the cream colored ceiling, sighing loudly. My body is too weak to sit up, and I really don't like that.

"Miss Selvin?" I hear. "is that you? Are you awake?" the voice questions, and I look over, realizing that it is just Madam Pomfrey. I sigh deeply before nodding. She walks over to me, performing a couple spells that I instantly recognized as her mending my bones.

I clench both my teeth and eyes until there is nothing broken about my body, but my soul still feels as if it has been shattered.

"You aren't allowed to leave until tomorrow, I'm afraid. But your friends should be in soon." she tells me gently, and I groan, my head falling back against the uncomfortable pillow.