Joke's on me

I've never seen a house so large in my life. Having grown up mostly in apartments and outside of cities, I have never been exposed to something the gorgeous. I sigh deeply, grabbing for Draco's hand a bit desperately. I don't fit in here. He chuckles, turning to face me, and I look up at him. He's shaking his head, grey eyes sparkling lightly. They look like stars. His grin is hard to miss.

I've never seen him look this happy. He usually has an underlying tenseness. Even when he smiles. But for once, he seems genuinely happy.

But I don't know why because it is highly unlikely that his parents and I will get along.

"Oh, calm down, will you? They cannot wait to meet you, love. It's all going to be fine." He says sweetly, and I just frown as we make our way towards the gigantic front door. How could they love me? I'm not evil. My best friends are the golden trio. I am their enemy. We are enemies. People don't typically love their enemies. I nod sadly, looking down at the road below my feet. When I'm standing at the door, the manor looming above my head, I swallow thickly, shuddering once. I watch as his hand pulls the large door open.

We enter the manor quickly, and I immediately notice that most of the decor is in our house colors. Black. Silver. Green. It's absolutely everywhere. Is this level of house pride what happens when you decide on matching tattoos? Or were they this spirited beforehand.

The house elves appear to to take my luggage upstairs, and Draco's smile melts off of his face. He pulls his hand away from mine and begins the ascent upstairs, glancing behind to make sure that I'm following. I can hear his parents speaking in the foyer. Draco clears his throat once, and they both turn to face us.

My heart stops when I see the painfully long platinum hair. Mr. Malfoy smirks down at me, his crude attempt at a smile. I clench my teeth.

How did I get here? How the hell, out of billions of men on planet earth, could I have chosen the son of my father's killer. What are those odds?

"Welcome, Miss Selvin. Scarlet, is it?" He says, and his voice sounds like it's dripping in honey, too sweet not to be artificial. I just stare at him, my eyes narrowed. I cannot believe that this is happening to me. I want to punch him, no.

I want to pull my wand out and kill him. I want to kill this man like he killed my father. I want to stare at his lifeless body on the floor of the foyer. I watched his family to hurt like I have.

I take in a deep, jagged breath before opening my mouth to speak.

"You." I say lowly, eyes trailing all the way down before looking back up at his face. Draco looks down at me confusedly, eyes concerned. I sigh before laughing a bit maniacally. "Oh, this is just my luck, isn't it. Someone must be joking! Date the boy who's father has killed your own. This is so funny. It's all so funny." I say, feeling sick. My eyes are bright with my anger, and I turn around pushing away Draco and storming to the exit, stopping abruptly when I am cut off.

"Oh my...merlin, Scarlett?" I look up with a stunned expression, recoiling. No. This is not happening. Not happening. Could this situation get any more fucked up? My life is falling apart all over again. I am watching it fall apart at the seams.

"Mom..." she looks gorgeous, her honey blond hair pinned up. Her dress a deep red color...kind of like the color of blood. Gryffindor colors. I was vaguely confused until I caught a glimpse of her arm. It's stained, a black drawing. I can feel the tears prickling in eyes, and I shove her aside as hard as I can before sprinting. Leaving everything behind. I could barely even hear Draco calling my name as my legs pushed me farther away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I collapse onto my bed, sobbing brokenly into the green duvet. My mother. How could she do this to me. To us. That man is the reason that my family fell apart. And now she is a slave. A slave to an evil, evil man. I cry until I've drifted away.

I am sitting alone in a field when I see my father. I scramble to my feet, sprinting in his direction, but then I'm falling, landing harshly on the dark floor of a dungeon. There's black all around me, and I can feel the terror. It's in the room. It's swirling around me. I can hear voices from every direction. I can feel unseen eyes. They're suffocating me.

I can't breathe.

"Kill her. Kill her now, nothing is stopping you." The voice belongs to my mother. I take in a handful of deep breaths, but they do nothing to calm my nerves, I pull my wand from my pocket, slipping it in my sleeve. As soon as the chamber doors open, I don't wait,

"Avada Kedavra!" I scream, my voice coming out twisted. I sound like a monster.

There's a loud thud, and I open my eyes to see the bright light had faded, and there was a blonde boy in its place, limp on the ground, I suck in a sharp breath, hand clutching my chest.

What have I done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up covered in a thin layer of sweat, my body still shaking from the stress. I would never use the killing curse. I know that. I know myself.

But it had seemed so real. I sit up and open my eyes, seeing a set of molten silver staring back at me. I take a shaky breath in as he moves over to me, taking each step slowly as to not scare me too badly.

"Scar...what happened back there? You just ran away. I've been worried sick." He begins softly, and I just grind my teeth, willing the tears not to fall from my eyes. He reaches for my hand, and I recoil at the sight of his dark mark, jumping up and running to the bathroom, crouching over a toilet and throwing up. A few minutes later, when I stand up, I see Draco staring at me from the doorway. I calmly walk over to him, forcing a smile onto my face.

"Go home, Draco. Go spend your holiday with your family. I'll be here when you come back. I don't think that I can talk about it right now, and I'm not ready to go back. I'll miss you." I say sweetly as he pulls me into as bone crushing hug.

"Are you sure? Are you okay, Love?" He asks, and I roll my eyes, nodding. He kisses my temple before leaving my room, and I sit back down on my bed, burying my face in my hands. And then I hear the owl. I stare at the letter that was dropped beside me, and I frown, picking it up cautiously.

Scarlett,
Well, this has been a fantastic way for you to learn of our allegiance to the dark lord. I have made him aware of your willingness to serve him, and he wishes to meet you. I'm sure that you have many questions for me, and I will surely oblige and answer them. Arrangements will be made for you to meet our Lord soon. Be ready, my love. He will surely mark you then.

Sincerely,
Your mother.