Chapter Six

Chapter Six

[Joey]

Thursday came way too fast. Before I knew it, Tom was standing awkwardly at my door in black swim trunks, navy blue chucks, and a grey shirt.

“Shit.” He whispered softly. “I forgot my towel.”

“It’s okay,” I smiled, handing him a red and white beach towel. “We have extra.”

I was lookin’ good in my purple swim trunks and black tee shirt with a pair of DC shoes. My mom’s clothes hid her one piece with cut outs in it, and my sister’s clothes hid her tankini.

“Let’s rock and roll!” My mom yelled, playing a little air guitar while I groaned in embarrassment. Of course she would.

We all piled into the car, and Tom was the lucky bastard who got shot gun. We were going to one of my mom’s friend’s gym. They always let us in for free, and even let us in on days it was closed, like today. It made me happy. I loved to swim!

We got their shortly, and walked in right away, as the other part of the gym was open. My mom greeted her friend, Mrs. Haley, and her daughter Sabrina. Sabrina and Molly were good friends, actually, and they went off to go play in the outdoor pool, but my mom and Mrs. Haley stopped them.

“You don’t have sunscreen on yet.” My mom scolded. “And I think you should warm up a little in here. The outdoor one is deeper.”

Molly sighed, and kicked off her shoes and took off her clothes before jumping into the pool. I smiled and kicked off my own shoes and took of my shirt. Tom did the same to his shoes, but left his shirt on.

“Aren’t you gonna take off your shirt?” I asked, then gave Sabrina a thumbs up for the cannonball she did.

“What? No!” He said, and then coughed. “Uh, no, I’ll leave it on.”

I raised my eyebrow but dismissed it. To each their own, I suppose. I walked to the edge of the pool, and I knew Tom was right behind me, so I jumped in without warning and splashed him.

“You!” He yelled, making me giggle uncontrollably. He jumped in and swam over to me, so I swam away, laughing at him.

“Boys, no flirting with Molly and Sabrina around!” My mom yelled. Oh, pooh on her.

“We’re not flirting!” I defended. I turned back to where Tom was, and I didn’t see him anywhere. “Tom?”

The next thing I knew, someone yanked me underwater. I flailed around some, then just let myself float face down to the surface, acting like I drowned. I laid there for maybe two seconds, before someone flipped me over onto my back.

“Joey?” Tom asked, panic in his voice. I held back a smirk.  

“Mrrg.” I replied. “I’m a zombie, and I’m gonna eat you!”

“Oh god.” Tom laughed, swimming away from me.

“Brains.” I moaned, dragging out the ‘s’. I started to swim towards Molly and Sabrina. “Brains.”

“Joey,” Sabrina said, her and Molly backing away from me. “What are you doing?”

“Must. Eat. Brains.” I moaned.

“No, Joey!” Molly yelled.

“Nom nom nom.” I said. “Brains!”

They shrieked and got out of the pool, quickly walking over to my mom and Mrs. Halley.

“Mommy!” Molly said. “Joey’s weird. Can we go outside now?”

“And you’re not?” My mom teased.