Chapter Two

[Joey]

“Joey!” Molly yelled, banging on my door. “Open your door!”

“No!” I yelled into the pillow I was laying on. “Nine year olds annoy me!”

“I’ll cry!”

“Ugh.”

I got up from my bed and walked to my door. I unlocked it, and jumped back as she threw it open. She clung to my legs, almost knocking me over. Her red shirt and white skirt were wrinkled, and her wavy brown hair was falling out of the braids. She looked up at me and I saw her grey eyes were filled with tears.

“What’s wrong?” I asked her, bending down to her level. She released my legs and locked her arms around my neck.

“Daddy’s mean.”

“How?”

“He keeps saying that you’re bad to be around. I don’t think you are. You’re the one who taught me how to color in the lines! You’re the one who got me to go to school on the first day!” She said. “You’re my big brother. You made those meanies leave me alone this year. You’re not bad to be around, are you?”

I didn’t look at her. “It depends on who you ask, I suppose.”

“Joey?”

“Yeah?”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that you have to decide for yourself.”

“Oh. Joey?”

I sighed. “Yes?”

She looked up at me. “I don’t want to go.”

“Go where?” I asked.

“To live with daddy. I want to stay with you and mommy.”

“Sweetie, it’s just for a few weeks. You’ve been doing this since you were real little.”

“No, it’s gonna be longer.”

“The whole summer?” I asked, being a little bummed. Molly’s the only one who kept me from boredom.

She shook her head, beginning to cry. “Daddy says I’m gonna live at his house. He says I won’t come back to live wiff you and mommy.”

My heart sank. “Oh, Molly.”

“I don’t wanna go!” She yelled, beginning to cry. “Don’t let him take me!”

“Did you tell him you didn’t want to?”

“He wouldn’t listen.”

I hugged her tighter. “I won’t let him take you away.”

“Promise?”

“I promise. Now stop crying and go play or something.”

She nodded and wandered off.

Oh, god, it’s all my fault! I stood and walked into the living room, only to see that no one was there. I sighed and walked into my mom’s room, and found her working from her lap top. She looked up and smiled at me.

“Joey,” She said. “I’ll make dinner in a few. Or we could order out.”

I said nothing, just walked to the side of her bed and dropped to my knees. She looked at me like I was crazy, then furrowed her eye brows and pouted a bit, asking “What’s wrong?”

“Send me to summer camp.” I moaned. “And then boarding school.”

“What? Why?” She asked.