Chapter 19- Playing Hookie

“My age has never made me wise.”

~~~

For the first time in weeks, the only thing that woke me up in the morning was my alarm clock. Not a nightmare, or a memory. No flailing across my bed as I tried to keep a steady heart rate. Just the 100% normal sound of a simple alarm clock chirping at me to wake up for school.

I had a blissfully dreamless sleep, and I felt more rested than ever. But the more I listened to my alarm scream at me to wake up, the more I realized that I didn’t want to go to school.

I did not want to go to school.

I was never one of those kids who actively tried to skip school. I didn’t mind going all that much, and I couldn’t really picture what else I would be doing with my time. But today I really didn’t want to go.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway, and seconds later my mom walked in. She was still in her pajamas, rubbing her eyes with her hands. She walked over to my bedside table and slammed her fist down on my alarm to turn it off.

“Why didn’t you shut that thing up?” she grumbled.

“Mom,” I said, trying to sound weak. “I don’t feel well.”

She looked at me, motherly concern coming over her face. She bent down and put a hand on my forehead. “You don’t feel warm.” She observed. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

I had to tell her something that she couldn’t debate. “It’s my stomach. I don’t know why, but I feel really sick. I feel nauseous.” I told her, trying to sound convincing. She pursed her lips and stood up.

“Okay, you can stay home today. I’ll call the school.” She told me. She brushed some hair out of my face soothingly. “Do you need me to get you anything? Or stay home with you?” she asked.

“No, I think I just need some rest.” I said, faking a yawn. “I’ll be fine by myself, you don’t have to look after me.” I assured her.

“Okay.” She said quietly. “Get some rest.” And she turned and left, shutting my door behind her. I guess she figured that since I never really the kind to dodge school, she’d let me stay home.

I lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. I couldn’t explain the feeling of why I didn’t want to go to school. Something was just telling me not to. I texted Stiles, Scott, and Allison to tell them that I was staying home. Allison and Scott both wished me well, while Stiles replied with a polite ‘screw you.’ I laughed as he followed it with a nice sarcastic ‘<3’.

I wondered how today would go. I hoped that nothing too crazy happened. Stiles had left me a text saying that his dad was okay, but that he was still furious with Scott, so I just hoped that no confrontations came from it.

I decided to get out of bed. I brushed my teeth and went through my normal morning routine. I threw on some leggings and a thick, comfy, over-sized sweater. My mom had given it to me last year. It used to be my dad’s, and it made me love it that much more. But wearing it now felt bittersweet.

I shook my head, not letting my thoughts go in that direction. I went downstairs and made myself some fruit salad for breakfast. I wasn’t sure what to do with my whole free day, but I was excited.

~~~

I hiccupped as I cried. Watching this movie might have been a mistake.

I had decided to watch Les MIs, and it had caused me a lot of pain. Eddie Redmayne, though he was gorgeous, was very badly injured and I couldn’t deal with it.