Chapter 2- PA to CA

"Ok seriously Sar, where are we going? I need to be at the airport in time for my flight, there's no time for this!" I huffed. I was getting more and more anxious by the second. I had issues with being on time in the past, and it was usually Sarah's fault. If I missed this flight I wouldn't be getting to California anytime soon, and I was starting to worry that that was her plan. 

"Oh relax, we're just stopping at Wawa really quick. You're gonna miss them once you're gone, trust me." she said rolling her eyes. Only Sarah would think of something like this. 

So far, today had been great. It was nice to reminisce about my life here. We met up with some of my other friends for lunch, and drove to a few of my favorite places. But now I was starting to get stressed out. It was already 1:30 and it took at least an hour to get to the airport. Sarah better not have anything else up her sleeve. 

We both walked in and grabbed milkshakes, and got back in the car. Sarah pulled out of the parking lot and assured me that we were going to the airport. 

"You know, I'm really going to miss you Maebh. I'm serious. I don't know how I'm going to get through these next two years without you. You needed to be there for my prom pictures and my shitty boyfriends that I will most definitely have. You're going to come back right?" she says. I was so surprised. I knew Sarah would miss me, but I had no idea how much. 

"Don't worry, we're coming back to visit over the holidays so we can be with the family. I'll see you then. And technology had blessed us with phones, so I'm just one call away. You're going to be fine. Trust me. And as for shitty boyfriends, I'm having Andre look out for you. I've got your back." I told her. She didn't need to stress about this anymore. 

We pulled up to a stop light and she looked over at me. "Wow, moving has changed you." she snapped back at me and we both burst out laughing. 

~~~

9 hour flights are ridiculous. Even with our 1 hour break for our connecting flight in Nevada, I still felt like I was starting to become claustrophobic. Sarah had gotten us to the airport just in time to meet my mom, and everything had gone pretty smoothly. And when we touched down in California, I had decided that the flight was very much worth it. 

One of my Aunt's friends, who also happened to know my mom, offered to pick us up at the airport and take us to the house. When we got there Tyler was waiting for us, and Shea hopped out of the car too see him. 

"Ty is that you? You've grown 12 feet! I bet you get all the bitches these days, am I right?" My brother said, hugging Tyler. I cringed at his attempt at "swag". He seriously needed to stop. 

"Shea! Language!" My mother scolded him while walking over to Tyler. She gave him a hug and turned to her friend Karen. "Thanks so much for the ride. I owe you."

"It really wasn't a problem! It was nice to catch up. Call me if you need anything!" Karen said and drove away. 

"So Ty, are you excited for freshmen year?" I asked while we walked in the house.

"Yeah, I want to try out for the lacrosse team. We have one of the best. I think." Tyler replied. I could tell he was really happy we were here, and that he finally got to come home. We hugged and he and Shea went off to watch TV.

I looked around. The house was about the same as when we had last visited a few years ago. It was unnecessarily big for the three people it had previously occupied, but it seemed almost full with the four of us here. The upstairs had five bedrooms, one of which was my Aunt and Uncle's old room. My mom had agreed not to do anything with it right now, and stayed in the guest room instead. The downstairs was big and open, with lots of windows and a high ceiling in the family room. There was a deck attached to the back of the house where you could see the expanse of the forest. It was absolutely breath taking.